1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Fellas...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Will34, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Will34

Will34 Guest

Whats up guys, I am BRAND new to this. Ive read a lot about backing up PS2 games, but I am confused on one part. It is true that I need some kind of chip in my ps2 in order to play my back up copies of games correct? Its not like I can just make a simple back up and play it right? Thanks a lot guys

2. hursty

hursty Active member

it is true what you have read,you will need a mod device of sorts

3. Will34

Will34 Guest

Ok. Can you be more specific? What all is required? Just a chip? Where can I find this chip? How much is it? Thanks

4. Slots2

Slots2 Guest

A chip or a swap magic disk set and a fliptop..

5. Will34

Will34 Guest

Totally lost...

6. trock0002

trock0002 Member

@Will34

If I could recommend using Google....something like...

How to _______ a PS2

You can fill in the blank with some of the keywords in this thread and I promise you some helpful results.

7. hursty

hursty Active member

basically there are 3 real methods to boot copied games from your ps2
    modchip
    hd loader
    swap method

[bold]modchip[/bold]

without getting into too much detail,this usually involves a soldered chip installed inside the ps2,which will then allow the ps2 to boot copied games

this is by far the best option

[bold] hd loader [/bold]

this involves booting ps2 games from the hardrive

[bold]swapmethod[/bold]

this is where you use a swapdisc to boot the ps2 games,
    a slide card,flip top lid needs to used with the swapdisc's,
    basically,you need to trick the ps2 to let it think that it has not been turned off or reset when loading games
    i.e......,u load swapmagic,
    at this point,after booting the boot disc(the disc that will let us play copied games),we need to put the copied disc in,without the ps2 knowing,the only way we can do this is by pressing eject,and if we press eject or reset we are back to square one!!!,this is where the fliptop or slide card comes in,
    these methods will allow us to insert the copied disc without pressing reset/eject

check around for more details on equip etc

as each method has its pitfalls,but i personally think the modchip method is the best,as this is almost 100% gauranteed to boot all games,

hd loader is not 100%,(lots of games are not compatible)
    and swapmagic disc have there problems

www.techwizad.com
    www.swapmagic3.com
    etc etc etc

8. Will34

Will34 Guest

Awesome man thanks for the help! Ok now, is it farely easy to copy ps2 games? Do they go on DVD+r,cd-r, or maybe dvd dual layer (9 gigs)? Also which program do you use?

9. cincyfan

cincyfan Guest

First off if you read these forums there are all kinds of information on here about backing up games you just have to look. And to answer your questions yes it is easyjust follow these guidelines when burning my friend..

1. burn at low speed(2x)
    2. never use dvd-rw, only DVD+R
    3. You can use either Nero, Alcohol 120, or DVD Decryptor to burn(i suggest dvd decryptor its free)

if you have any more questions just search the forums i guarentee you will find your answer this forum is the best

10. Festing

Festing Member

Hey all. I have had the Swap Magic and Slide Card combo for about 2 months and have sucessfully backed up several games. However i recently copied Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and cant get it to work. When i backed up with DVD Decrypter the ISO was under 2 gig?? When i go through the swapping process and load/boot the game it takes me back to the browser screen and has memory cards and the disk icon. It is presented as a Playstation 2 Disc, yet when i select it it just basically refreshes the screen?? I need help please this is a really good game and i would like to play it!?! Anyone can help? If you can shed some light please reply ASAP or contact me on kennyfesting@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

11. hursty

hursty Active member

not true

this all depends on what version the ps2 you have is,
    v3 and below will only accept DVD-R,

v4 may accept DVD+R, definetly DVD-R

v5 and above both DVD-R/DVD+R