1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question / help

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by flash7, Dec 27, 2002.

1. flash7

flash7 Member

I am a professional photographer and will be burning DVD's for my clients who have all different DVD formats. Can anyone recomend a burner that will burn DVD-r, DVD-rw, DVD+r, DVD+rw, CD-r? I have been looking at the Philips DVDR-985, but it does not burn in all formats. Any info will be helpful!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]If you're gonna live life on your own terms, you've gotta be ready to crash and "burn"[/small]

2. burning

burning Guest

The only drive that supports all the dvd formats and cd-r is the Sony DRU500A. This drive supports 2.4x dvd+rw, 2x dvd-rw, 2.4x dvd+r, 4x dvd-r, 8x dvd-rom, 10x cd-rw, 24x cd-r, 32x cd-rom. This drive is affordably priced at $349.99. I bought one and I have not had any problems with it, the firmware update 1.0f has increased compatiblity and performance. Many online stores are sold out though. For a review of the drive and the latest prices try: http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1095-404-20384294.html?tag=prmo2

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2002
  3. flash7

flash7 Member

Thank You, I will check it out! Have you heard anything on the Philips DVDR985?

4. vcdmaker

vcdmaker Guest

I own a DVDR985, it has pros and cons.

5. flash7

flash7 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the 985 and had to exchange it for a second 985 because I thought it was defective. I also returned the second one that I bought and came to the conclusion that this product was TERRIBLE! It does not read the formats that they say it will. I tested it with multiple formats. Also, when powering off, it just says "wait" and does nothing for as long as I let it wait. To fix this, I had to unplug and plug it back in (a big hassle). It also did not read my Firewire cable or my Audio/Visual cable so I could not hook up my laptop like they said. To top it off, I called Phillips and they said that a tech would call me with in 24-48 hours. They never called and it has been over a week now. I since ordered the Sony DRU 500 UL and is now on back order. Thanks again.

6. vcdmaker

vcdmaker Guest

I called them too, they said the same thing.
    My problem is jitter on incomming video.
    I'm thinking of buying a Video Clarifier.
    Mine connects up to my DV cam, but my computer can't find it.