1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question on copying mini panasonic DVD onto DVD-R

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by cameragal, Mar 17, 2007.

1. cameragal

cameragal Member

I need help with copying a mini panosonic DVD onto a DVD-R. I used a friends digital camcorder to record an observation which I need to have in order to get my early childhood degree. The problem is that I did not finalize it in her camcorder when it was complete and now it will not open and I need to have this done by next week so I can get my degree! I did not realize that it needed to be finalized and now she is gone on Spring Break for two weeks! I tried to take it to Wolf camera shop to see if it could be finalized there and they could not get it finalized! What can be done to get this mini DVD copied? I do not know the exact make or model of the digital camcorder that was used to do this recording. My guess is that it was a panasonic as well. Any more hope for me? Thanks, Julie

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Many DVD drives can read unfinalized DVD's but you need to install software on your system e.g. Nero InCD.

3. cameragal

cameragal Member

I appreciate your input but is NERO the #1 software you would suggest? It seems I've read some negative reviews about this software. What are some other good software to install that may help in reading this mini DVD? Thanks

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Nero is probably the most used CD/DVD burning software in the world, so it can't be that bad (but since there are so many users, there will also be many users that are unhappy with it). I have been using consecutive it for many many years and never had any problems. There is a free rial download, so just give it a shot I would say. I know that in the past EasyCD Creator also had a module called DirectCD that may help but I don't know if it is still there and if it works for your problem.

5. cameragal

cameragal Member

I will take your word for it and let you know what happens. Thank you for your help.

6. cameragal

cameragal Member

Thank you so much for all your help! I downloaded Nero and was able to copy it to a Memorex DVD-R/RW. One more question though, when I try to put the copy into the computer or my DVD player it won't play. The copy only plays in Nero showtime. Any reason why it won't play anywhere else? Thanks

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

What are the files that you exactly copied to the DVD?

8. cameragal

cameragal Member

How do I find that out? I'm not sure which files exactly but I do know that since it was copied in the Nero program it only comes up and plays in Nero showtime. I guess I need a little more specifics from you. Thank you

9. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Open the DVD in your file explorer and check what is on the disc.

10. cameragal

cameragal Member

How do I do that? You're the EXPERT not me.

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Simply the way you browse any other folder on your PC.
    Right click "My Computer" select "Explore" and browse to the DVD drive that contains the DVD.

12. cameragal

cameragal Member

I did exactly as you said and it's telling me that this DVD is empty with nothing on it there are no recorded files for it either. I downloaded the 30 day trial period for Nero 7. However when I play it in Nero showtime it shows up. Now what can I do? I suppose that if I buy a DVD video disc to copy this one on it will probably not make much difference as well since nothing else can seem to read it but the Nero software program. Please give me some hopeful feedback because I have an appoinment with my professor tomorrow night. You're an excellent help. Thank you

13. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If nero plays that DVD there has to be something on it. You must be looking at the wrong DVD drive (maybe you have two?) when you are browsing. Without knowing what is on the DVD it is impossible to tell you what is wrong. I suggest you call in somebody who has a bit more computer skills and knows how to browse your recorded DVD.