1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on double layer dvd's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by eric_0012, Jan 3, 2008.

1. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

I'm thinking about buying a double layer DVD writer, how are the blank DVD disks ? expensive? does anyone have a suggestion on what brand is best, also what type should I get.

Thanks

2. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Dual layer discs are a little more expensive. If you're going to go that route i'd suggest (and i don't think i'm alone on this one) that you use the good blank media.

Made in Japan Verbatim.

3. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

If I use a dual layer disk I will be able to back up any non HD DVD right? without reauthoring it.

4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

With the amount of space on a dual layer dvd you shouldn't have to compress any normal Dvd9.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a dvd shrink issue

6. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

You can get a 20 pack of DLs for $30, while they're on sale, at a Best Buy etc.

The most trusted, and I can attest to this, is Verbatim DLs, although some other companies are starting to clean up their DL media-act. The next time Sony DL goes on sale, I'm going to try them.

If you have a commercial DVD, it will not eclipse the ~8.4 gig mark. HD DVD and Blu-ray, is another story. Older DVDs are sometimes single layer, but those stink, because they don't offer any good special features (either that or the feature film is extremely short). For single layer DVDs, you can use a DVD5 without any compression.

If you have a dual layer DVD, you can back that up with dual layer +/-R without any compression, but again, they're more expensive (although not as expensive as they used to be. I think when I started this, a 10 pack was $100).

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Mr. Pink and 7thsinger always give good advice. I get my Ritek dl +R 2.4x at 100/110USD from Meritline. The riteks have been very good to me and JoeRyan here at AD thinks they are ok also.

8. res2cue

res2cue Guest

Made in Singapore are just as reliable. In fact I can't say I've ever even seen Made in Japan Verbs.

yes you can because that is exactly what the originals are, dual layer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  9. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

As i normally don't burn DL's, i may be incorrect in previous statement.

10. res2cue

res2cue Guest

I didn't mean to sound condescending, maybe they do exist, but I think it would be a chore to find them if thats what you were specifically looking for.

11. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

And i would not want to send a Jr. on a wild goose chase either, so no worries there. As i said before, my experience with DL's is limited.

But, i do know the Verbatim's are one of the better DL blank media on the market.

12. res2cue

res2cue Guest

absolutely, they're the only ones I use when it comes to DL's. Which is only when a single won't work at all due to movie length, eg: The Godfather

13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

AFAIK DL Verbs are only manufactured in Singapore, the SL variety can be found from India, Taiwan and Japan...the Japanese versions of course being Taiyo Yuden and not available in the U.S.

14. res2cue

res2cue Guest

TY's are Japanese Verb's? I did not know that!

15. LOCOENG

Yep, I don't even think you can get them in the states so gurnard was so kind as to send me a spindle a while back.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ah you mean Ultra sexy 'Verbatim TY' then :)

17. LOCOENG

Exactamundo!

18. res2cue

res2cue Guest

after finding this out, I'm happy I resisted the temptation to buy some TY's overseas just for curiosity!

19. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

I used some TDK DL discs.
    They came in a pack of 5 for around $20 or so.
    DVD+R DL's are still quite pricey, but hey they're worth it. Excellent for backing up. I wouldn't however really recommend them for copying DVD9 movies as these days you shrink them onto DVD5's with most features intact and no real noticeable loss of quality.

Seriously on a normal sized TV you won't be able to the tell the difference. There's plenty of excellent programs that can do this for you: Nero Recode, Clone DVD, DVD X Copy, etc...

Only thing I didn't like about the TDK's is their max burn speed was around 2.4Kp/s. Pretty damn slow. But then again burning DVD+R DL's is not something you want to rush, coz if you get a faulty disc that's essentially $5-8 dollars down the drain.

20. res2cue

res2cue Guest

if you paid $5-$8 per disc, you got ripped, regular price should be around $2-$3 per disc (if you buy a spindle and depending on where you shop). They come on sale for around $25 per 20 disc spindle on a regular basis.

Secondly, all DL I have ever used had a max burn speed of 2.4, that seems to be the norm unless it's changed lately.

Third, there is a difference in quality when you get into higher compression, which is usually the case if you include all extras and such, especially on higher quality televisions. A normal sized tv, what exactly is normal sized?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008