1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question on dvd-r 8x discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by andmerr, Feb 17, 2004.

1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

when are 8x dvd-r discs available.I'm about to purchase a sony dvd 8x burner but can not get 8x media in australia.

andmerr

2. Nuke

Nuke Member

This is one place to get em http://www.meritline.com/

I know they ship to Australia but don't know the shipping charges.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanks for the info

andmerr

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can use 4x RiDATA discs at 8x in the Pioneer DVR107, maybe u would consider getting it??

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

that is something to consider so i guess i might stick with the pioneer a106 i have now

thanks for the assistance all

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No problem. Another thing, you can get around £70-£80 on ebay in sterling for a Pioneer DVR106 in good condition. You can buy a DVR107 for as little as £100 on some sites in special offers. Thats like getting a DVR107 for around £20 or so...

7. raeme18

raeme18 Member

In 2 weeks time I will be selling Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R discs here in Sydney.At the present time 4x discs are $2:50 each and the 8x discs will probably be just a little bit more. The price has not been fixed yet but the aim is to try and keep close to 4x prices.
    Burning 4x Discs at 8x will give you errors plus you have to upgrade your firmware.
    I have burnt about 50 Taiyo Yuden 8x discs so far and have not had a single coaster or any problems. I am lucky to have had a sample spindle to try out and evaluate.I have a Pioneer D107 and a D106 and they both accept the 8x discs

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

But presumably the DVR106 only burns them at 4x?

9. karatone

karatone Regular member

I haven't burned any 8X minus media yet,cause both of my 107 drives are patched with the upgraded firmware. I beleive if the 4X media can give good results at 8X, just for insurance you could always drop down to 6X with most programs. When my local supply guy gets the Ritek 8X - media in stock I plan on trying a few to see the difference if any. When I first started buying 4X Riteks the price was near $1.25 a piece,so I'm hoping that the 8X isn't much more than that,does anyone have a avererage price for 8X minus Riteks yet? Oriphus? thanks!

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, the +R Riteks 8x, Traxdata, RiDATA are to be around £1.15-£1.30, no idea on the -R Riteks, as they havent been released yet. I should be the first to hear about the Ritek Dual layer discs, they have started work on them, eta 6 months or so.

11. yellows

yellows Member

Hi. i have the Pioneer 107 with the hacked firmware. I thought it was cool at first getting the 8X burner because then I could burn at 8X. After I bought the burner, I was dissapointed becasue there was no 8X media available. I almost regretted buyign the 107 at this point until I found out about the hacked firmware that allows burning at 8X on 4X media. Now I am very happy and satisfied with the 107 because quality 4X media is readily available. So I would suggest you just get the Pioneer 107 instead of the Sony and get some good quality media (Ridata) and burn at 8X. You will save money buying 4X media as opposed to 8X even if you can find the 8X media anywhere.

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanks for your opinion yellows still contemplating what to do.Company in hong kong called MDA is shortly manufacturing dvd-r discs and they said they would email me when avaialable,although that could be 6 months away.

andmerr

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I have a Traxdata 8x DVD-R sitting in front of me. not sure when they are being released though, it may be in another month.

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

are traxdata any good for video/ music or are they just good storage media. Havent actually ever used them

andmerr

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

After the Pioneer own brand, Traxdata are the best discs on the market for DVD Back-up. They are the Premium Ritek branded disc, since Ritek bought them over a good few years back when they were CD Manufacturers.

16. andmerr

andmerr Guest

whats the difference between these and the ordinary ritek i use now? what makes them premium?How does cost compare with these and other brands?
    Sorry for all the Q's

andmerr

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It compares very favourably with other brands. I rate them better than virtually any other disc on the market in terms of reliability and performance. The difference is usually the quality of the disc. Unbranded Ritek and Datasafe Ritek may not always be grade A discs. This means that the quality of the dye application may not be 100%. With the Traxdata/RiDATA discs, the highest quality assurances measures are taken with batches being tested from each set of discs everytime they are produced.