1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question on dvd2one

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by slmh1296, Dec 11, 2004.

1. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

I looked over a couple of guides and did not see which is better to use in dvd2one. It ask if you want a variable or constant compression what is best every so often i get to the end of a movie and it gets choppie and it seems its on the one that have a higher compression Ive always used variable i want to know what is best.thanks

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Set user defined 1 to 4400Mb
    Use variable compression
    And use a reputable branded media such as Ritek or Taiyo Yueden

The user defined 1 to 4400Mb and a good quality media should overcome 'the end of a movie and it gets choppie', or reduce the size lower to maybe 4300Mb.

Hope this helps................

3. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

thank you for the reply. i always use good media over 300 great backups after i learned what works best for my setup. but lowering the Mb would mean higher compression. i thought that was what was causing the problem. if not could you give me the short of that if thats the case.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The actual size of a dvd5 is approx 4.36Gb and not 4.7Gb.

The byte setting is relatively important, as alot of dvd players struggle playing the extreme outer circumference of the dvd5 by losing focus of the data (irrespective of compression ratio), and as you have seen, this causes the skipping and choppiness towards the end of the movie.

To avoid this, using the 'user defined' options allows you to fine tune the overall size to enable dvd2one to compile the file structure to below this size, therefore reducing the risk of burning to the outer circumference and reducing the chance of 'focus loss'.

You have not mentioned about the selective ratio, so I assume you are using an older version.
    The latest version allows you to select different ratios, to clean up the viewing pleasure.

An explanation from http://www.dvd2one.com

Neither Constant or Variable is always right for a particular set of circumstances.

Generally speaking, you could use Constant for long movies when only the movie is going to appear on your finished DVD - no other junk like trailers and small 'making of' features.

The Constant mode compression can occasionally have problems with small VOBs, resulting in the blockiness. This is why as a general rule its use is reserved for movie-only transcodings of very long movies, where it really shines. For whole disc sessions and normal length movies you may be happier with Variable mode.

Basically Variable or Constant compression can be used, and should not have any impact in dvd players ability to play it except for the overall viewing pleasure................................

Hope this helps.........................

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  5. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

thanks baabaa that was the short oh it hahaha!! i total understand thanks.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, The only thing I could not find is a clear definition of non important parts to important parts - ie how the software decides...............

I think it maybe down to frame differences.

Hope it helped......................