1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Magic 3.1 modchip (yes I did a search... but got nothing)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Biggz, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Biggz

Biggz Member

Hey people... I'm new to these boards and to the whole modchip/backing up process. I did search for my answers via the search function but every phrase or keyword I used either brought up way too many threads to look through, or none at all.

Basically I am in the market for a modchip and was wondering about some things I've read on this and other boards and was hoping people could elaborate on them for me.

First, I've heard that the Magic 3.1 chip doesn't have a 100% boot rate... ?? What does that mean? Does that mean it doesn't boot 100% of the time or just that it doesn't boot 100% of the games that are out there if they are backed up?

If it indeed does not boot up certain games, can you list off a few recent games that it is not compatible with?

Last but not least, it seems to me alot of people on this board prefer the Messiah 2 modchip - can you tell me the major difference between the two?

Thanks for your help everyone._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Proud to be an AfterDawn newbie...[/small]

2. Lob

Lob Member

The only problem I have had so far with Magic 3.1 is DVD9 games. But it's not really a problem... more of an annoyance. You just have to retry once or twice... sometimes a few more to get them working. It's a simple press of the reset button or going back to standby. But if I could change, I'd probably get the Messiah or the DMS3.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/29491

3. Biggz

Biggz Member

Thanks for the link man! I knew there had to be another thread out there... I probably used the wrong keywords or something.

4. cheech65

cheech65 Member

One other problem that the magic 3 has is it sometimes has a tendency to stall on GTA Vice City. It also sometimes freezes on the game Kingdom Hearts. And the no 100% boot rate just means that sometimes you have to hit reset a few times before it will load the game, not really that big of a deal. I don't really know anything about the DVD9 games yet.

5. ps2xp

ps2xp Guest

magic 3.1 can play vice city and kindom hearts
    i had my ps2 chipped with magic 3.1 and it plays vice city perfect

6. ps2xp

ps2xp Guest

magic 3.1 can play vice city and kindom hearts
    i had my ps2 chipped with magic 3.1 and it plays vice city perfect