1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re: burning .vob to dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by b$j, Nov 29, 2001.

1. b$j

b$j Guest

I am new to this. I have a .vob file on my HDD and I have a dvd-r. When I try to burn the .vob files back to a blank dvd-r, my set top dvd player will not recognize it. I think the problem is that I did not finalize the disk.

My question is: how do I finalize the disk when the program I am using to write to the dvd-r will only recognize the .vob extension if I select the option to make a "data" disk rather than a vcd or music cd? Should I select the option to make a mixed mode cd (will such a disk be finalized)?

I don't want to waste anymore blank dvd-r's. Thanks.

2. dvdman

dvdman Guest

I have the same problem I tried copying it back to my burner and now if I insert that disk it locks up the machine. in other threads they talk about a software by the name of Prassi Primo dvd I'm wondering if there are other softwares to use like nero?

3. tonix

tonix Member

As far as I've been able to get is you need to demux the vob files into there component parts (ie mv2 and Ac3 files) and then reassemble them in some software that can put those pieces together for you. (in the Mac world DVD Studio Pro)

4. b$j

b$j Guest

I guess what I really want to know is: is it possible with any program to make this a two step process? In other words, can you rip a dvd to your hard drive and then burn it straight back to a dvd-r, if you have a dvd burner, without out all of the in between steps (i.e. using dvd2avi and TMPGEne)?

If so, what program do you use to burn the files back to dvd-r? If not, is there any higher quality method than svcd? Thanks.

5. tonix

tonix Member

Relatively yes. you need to extract the info from the original using a ripper. Get the ripper to extract the data and make a disc image. Then you'll need to burn the disc image back to a DVD-r (I use Roxio Toast but whatever DVD burning softwe you have should let you burn an image) or watch from hard drive by mouting the image and using your computers DVD player.

Now this falls apart pretty quickly when the Movie has been put on a dual layer DVD -it holds close to 9gb and your DVD-r only holds 4.5. Then life is more complicated cause you'll need to remove some content (extras, language tracks, making of....) to get the file size down. and then some software to reassemble the pieces. dRD knows the PC software for this. also look in the software section.

6. Renal

Renal Member

I have had the same problem. What program do i need to burn the vob files to the dvd-r. If you were to use a 4.7 gig dvd-r to burn a movie, what is maximum time length that movie can be?
    I tried gladiator but that was about 8.1 gigs. that's only a 2 hour and 40 minute movie

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Renal: Don't rip all the crap from the DVD, just the main movie, drop the extras and movie normally fits within 4.7GB.

Primo Prassi should be able to take VOB files as an input file.

8. tonix

tonix Member

MPEG 2 is variable rate encoding process. so 2 hours can be 2GB or 6+GB. Usually the track that contains the movie and the 5 channel AC-3 are under 4.5 GB so extracting just that (losing all the extras) you'll be able to fit it on a regular DVD-r. If the Track that hold the movie and ac3 file is bigger than 4.5 GB you'll need to re-encode the MPEG2 file with a smaller bit rate, and yes this does reduce the quality from the original DVD (although the quality drop is marginable) good luck!

9. Renal

Renal Member

when you do rip just the main movie without the extras, from there do you just burn to a dvd-r?.can anyone hook me up with primo prassi?

10. tonix

tonix Member

You need something to stick them together and write a new vob file. not sure what does that on the pc side in the mac world dvd studio or the pro version quicktime. dRD knows the PC software.

11. dRD

This is by far the most convenient method of doing this -- no re-encoding, no joining VOBs, just stripping out the unnecessary streams and creating new IFO files. The ready VIDEO_TS directory then just needs to be burned to DVD-R using Nero (ISO/UDF method).

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-menustripping.htm

12. tonix

tonix Member

Oh d, between me and you we could RULE THE WORLD HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!oh sorry

13. dRD

Ah, I thought that I don't need to share my position as the Ruler of the World, but ah well, you can work as my assistant :)

14. swanside

swanside Member

1, Rip the DVD to HDD
    2, Open up DVD2AVI and select one vob file you have ripped.
    3, This will then select all the vob files and encode them to make a D2V file and a WAV file.
    4, Us Tmpeng to make a Mpeg file using the D2V and WAV file.
    5, Use a program like Spruce Up to make the DVD disc, or to save it into a directory.
    6, Run IFO Edit and open up the Video TS Ifo and press Get Vts sectors.
    Save the file as it is.
    7, Use Nero to burn to DVD selecting UDF/ISO.

15. dRD

swanside: No point. You lose quality, waste helluva lot of time, etc by re-encoding the video. VOBs are already in MPEG-2 format.

If you insist getting the files into plain MPEG-2 files, just rip the files, use TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools to demux the VOB files into .ac3 and .m2v files and remux them back to .m2p file.

16. swanside

swanside Member

Sorry dRD.
    That was the way I did my first, Quality of the Video was O.K, but the audio was in Pro-Logic, and not Dolby Digital 3_2.

Can you please advise me on how to make a DVD into dolby digital 3_2 please, as I am now starting to strugle.

I use SpruceUp to author the title, but not too sure on how to make a M2V and AC3 to import into SpruceUp.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.
    Regards
    Paul

paul@swanside.net

17. dRD

Look at the doom9's guide that I posted above -- you don't need even SpruceUp for copying DVDs. You just rip the movie to HDD, use Vobrator and IFOEdit to get rid of the useless crap (dubs, extra subtitles you don't need, etc) and create new IFO files and burn the thing with Nero.

18. eminesco

eminesco Guest

http://www.geocities.com/covert1.geo/dvd-r/dvd_r.htm
    Go here ....here's how to copy dvd..i tried and it really works.
    Most of the dvds have like 7,3 gb, but a movie under 120 min is under 4,7 gb.
    And I come up with a simple solution to copy movies bigger than 4,7.
    Use smartripper to select chapters up to 4,7.Put them on hdd, then use vobmerge from here
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/vobmerge.html , then use the specifications from the first link.
    After that, take the remaining chapters and do the same, and put them on another dvd....I fund dvd-r at only 2,5$, so it is a good deal, even if you use 2 dvd-r, and on the seccond one you can put the begining from another movie.
    Use nero burning 5.5.1, works with most of the dvd-rw
    I read here you must use dvd, iso/udf...I only use udf and it's working just fine.
    And it is dolby digital, too...
    P.S. it was an <enter> after the last letter.Try now

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2002
  19. mlguts

mlguts Member

The first link seems to be broken... Can you re-post the link?

-mlguts

20. eminesco

eminesco Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2002