1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding ordering modchips since the raids

Discussion in 'PS2' started by EvanQuinn, Aug 4, 2007.

1. EvanQuinn

EvanQuinn Guest

I was looking into getting a modded ps2 this christmas, and it doesnt look good for me, sadly :(. I want to know if it is illegal to get a modchip/premodded system from another country. Is it even possible for me to get a modchip anymore? Did they just bust the U.S. distributors, or did they make it where you can't get a modchip from china, and other place without getting in trouble?
    Thanks for the help.
    Btw, this is my first post, so sorry if this question has been answered already.

2. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

Not sure. All I know is that they got search warrants in 16 states looking for modchip creators/distributors.

3. blompod

blompod Guest

You could try a country where modding is perfectly legal like here in Australia. Plenty of "bricks and mortar" storefronts openly advertise modding. Our legal system doesn't allow big multi-national companies tell us what we can and cannot do with our own property. Here's a site:

http://www.emodchips.com.au/index.html

4. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

why don't you go for something less risky like a swap magic w/magic keys right now? I use that & it does a lot the modchip does.

5. goligo76

goligo76 Member

Don't buy anything yet before first considering this info...

Yes I wanted to buy one of the latest chips too and the site I usually went to was chipzone but when I checked there I noticed that all modchip info is gone from their sites and all they have is accessories. After searching google for a while I found some info from these forums about the raids etc and that spooked me because I have bought from chipzone before way back in the late 90's it was a modchip for ps1. Anyways the raid info that I found here or somewhere mentioned that the sites were cooperating with ice...

Do you remember the directv h card days lol? All those people that thought their purchasing info was safe in canada were all proven wrong when canada sites were getting busted too and their customer lists where taken and customers were fined thousands of dollars. Just imagine if you had bought a modchip from a site in the states weeks or months before they were busted or maybe even a few years before, and your purchase record was kept on file when the stupid govt busted down the doors. What will happen to all the customers of these sites in the US huh? I'm still thinking of getting a modchip but it won't be this year and I want to see what happens to people that try to buy one from aussies and have it shipped here lol. Ice works in customs too so they will no doubt start looking for these things coming from australia. I wonder technically is is considered illegal to own a modchip or is it illegal just to use one?

Screw the govt and the overpriced game industry, if you want to know what really drives chip sales just look at the high prices in the store.

6. grusse

grusse Member

What could the repercussions for buying from Canada be? Would customs just seize the chip I ordered and that would be it? Are they only targeting sellers at this point? It would be much better if they just passed some legislation on it. At least then it would be a little more clear.

7. goligo76

goligo76 Member

well if you live in canada the govt there can use relevant laws to punish you or if you live somewhere like the US they just pass some info about you along to the mpaa riaa spca whatever and those jerks send their lawyer army after you and a lot of other people just like downloading mp3s. The sellers often keep customer records so if they get caught they can rat out their customers to hopefully shave off some of their prison sentence. They want your money but will sell you out if they can.

This kind of thing happened with h cards and any associated devices related to sat tv theft. I read somewhere about this guy that made a few million selling loaders and he kept all these meticulous records which made it very easy for authorities to send out fines and penalties to customers not to mention the guy suppliers.

I will never buy a modchip in the states ever again only from another country and it looks like australia atleast for now is the best place to do that. Of course since the aussies are allies to democracy they won't have any problems busting sellers and sharing the info they get if they should change their laws. The only truly safe place to buy a modchip might be from a country that doesn't support the laws of the US or it's allies like eastern europe or china.

8. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

Solution: have it shipped to a friend's house using someone else's name, a business (especially if you plan on quitting soon...), or a P.O. Box marked "c/o John Smith". That will throw a bit of trouble into their trouble-free prosecution.

9. godowar

godowar Member

So where can i find out the legality of modding ps2's in the US by use of the chip of swap disk...or are swap disks even 'mod'ing??? Can i buy them in the US legally? if so where???

10. Memnock

Memnock Active member

You can still easily, buy swap magic on Amazon, but it's illegal to use swap magic or a modchip in the US. Why else do you think sites like coursesource.com won't ship either to the US anymore?

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html