1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about AVI2DVD settings

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by daveb923, Mar 13, 2007.

1. daveb923

daveb923 Member

I recently burned my 1st converted .avi by using the guide here at Afterdawn and DVD Decrypter. It came out just about perfect! The first 10 seconds or so there's no audio, but it's not a big deal. My question is about aspect ratios and interlacing. If I don't know the ratio of the original .avi, what should I set it to in AVI2DVD? The DVD I burned used 16:9 in AVI2DVD, but I'm not sure what the .avi's ratio was. Does the setting really matter? And about interlacing: how do I know if my source .avi's are interlaced? If the .avi is interlaced, and I don't check the AVI2DVD interlace box, what effect will it have on the final DVD? So here's my questions again, in short:
    How do I find out the aspect ratio of my source .avi files and does it really matter?
    How do I find out if my source .avi file is interlaced, and does that matter?
    Thanx Afterdawn for a great site, great tools, and easy to use guides!

daveb923

2. daveb923

daveb923 Member

OK- I figured out that I can use AVIcodec to display the info of .avi files. Now my new question is (in addition to the previous questions): Should I set the audio bit rate the same as the source file? I have an .avi movie and the audio bit rate is 96kbps. Should I set AVI2DVD to the same number as displayed in AVIcodec? What if the AVIcodec reports 'unknown aspect ratio' or a non-standard ratio (not 16:9 or 4:3)? What should I set AVI2DVD aspect ratio in this situation? Will any of this really matter? My stack of blank DVDR's is small and I don't want to risk burning any coasters! I know 50 blanks is only about $15 (on sale), but I don't have a car, blah blah blah blah.... ;) any help is appreciated! And what about interlacing? Deinterlace? What the hell is interlacing? Read my first post's interlacing question... THANX!

daveb923

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007