1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about backing up PS2 games (new user)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by baterup22, Feb 11, 2005.

1. baterup22

baterup22 Member

I have serveral playstation 2 games that I want to back up. I have bought 123 Copy DVD. I have an I/O Magic 8x DVD rewritable external. My first question, do I have to have a Mod Chip to play a backup copy of a PS2 game? Next if I do or don't what do I need? Ok, now what do I need to do to backup a PS2 game. Such as software and how to operate it. Please give me a step by step process on how to do all of the following and where to locate all of the following.

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

PS2 games are actually pressed DVD/CD discs, they are not burned. PS2 games use the Burst Cutting Area (BCA) of the disc to identify themselves to the PS2 unit. The BCA is not part of a disc that you can burn on, it is only replicated on pressed discs. So, the only way to play backups is to get boot-discs or a mod-chip.

You can find more about swap magic and where to buy here:
    Http://www.swapmagic3.com

the best program for coping games and movies id DVD Decrypter. Its free and easy and works great for everything.

here is a link to the guide.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/15105

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. JRoland

JRoland Member

To answer your first question - Yes, you do need to have sometype of backup device in order to play backup games on your PS2. Which device you use is a matter of personal preference. However, the two routes you will probably want to look into are: 1)Modchips and 2)FlipTop Cases.

Though most modchips require professional installation, there are some available which are solderless. As for the FlipTop Covers, they are a failry simple alternative for more cautious users and require only the use of some phillip screwdrivers and some patience/research. To find out more about these two possibilities, search these forums or Google them. Also, be sure to google the shit out of any vendors you are thinking about purchasing from. Trust me.

Now, as far as the software goes, all that you will need to do is download DVD Decrypter (freeware) and read the tutorial located in these forums for a detailed explanation.

Some other small things which can make or break your potential backups:
    Burn Slow: 2x is the maximum you should use. 1x is preferable
    Use Quality Media: TDK and Verbatim discs seem to have a quality rep on these forums.
    Use Correct Media: Do not try using DVD-RW's and expect your PS2 to work. Instead, you may want to stick to DVD-R's only.

Anything else - post back.

Good Luck