1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about backing up Wii games....

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by zomgbbq, Jan 8, 2008.

1. zomgbbq

zomgbbq Member

OK first of all i read all the guides and i understand them but i just have 2 questions..........

1. Why do we need to use the LG DVD drives? I know in all the guide i've read (not only ones from this forum) all of them said u need the specific LG dvd drive but why why why?? Cant you just use dvd writers? Why are the drives the "ONLY" ones that can work or is compatible with WII, i really don't get y, are those drives really that PRO? Isn't there something else, maybe a program that can make this work on other drives cuz i really don't feel like ordering online or spending anymore money than i should have.......plus i already have a lot of DVD writers, and i'll feel really shit if those ones can't even do a simple job of backing up Wii games, and a simple DVD burner can. Those DVD writers of mine are good quality too and i really don't feel like buying a DVD rom...

2. I'm wondering if these 2 things can backup Wii games without the use of LG DVD drive??

http://how-to-copy-wii-games.blogspot.com/
    as you can see, it doesn't say it requires the LG DVD drive, so maybe this will work because i already have a full version of this, i don't know if warez is allowed on this forum but if i'm allowed i can share you guys the links, i have the latest 2008 AIO versions as well. But i just wanna know if this will work without the use of LG DVD drive?

and also here:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=135319073
    i'm not sure if this can do the job but i think u can backup Wii games to ur SD card or something, and maybe load off the SD card? Well i can get SD cards really cheap and this method only takes 45 mins which is good too, but i'm not too sure and i'm no expert on this, i only bought myself a Wii recently so i'm not too sure on any of these things.......

so ya if someone could help me out here.

PS: Also, if someone could kindly give me some more tips or pointers or exploits that you think i should install or learn, not just backing up Wii games but maybe some other cool stuff i can do to my Wii? Or maybe some programs i should install? ANYTHING WILL DO, if you guys could provide some good websites or anything at all that'll be awesome, Thx..

2. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

1. Wii DVDs are only compatible with the specific LG drives because that's just how it is. Maybe sooner or later there will be a way to fix it but for now you will just have to go with that.

2. DO NOT get the Game Copy Pro. It's a load of BS so stay away from it.

If you have a Wiikey installed then you can backup your games using the Gecko SD adapter for the GC. Just download the Wiikey 1.3 config. disc and the option should be in there.

3. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

first of all, that first link for "gamecopypro" is a scam. Why would you buy anything from a "manufacturer" that has their official website on blogspot? You know thats like a myspace page don't you? Also there was 1 comment that was deleted from the blog. Why was it deleted? Probably because somebody actually ordered the product and found out that it wasn't real. You have to use an LG drive if you back up using your pc. Pure and simple.

The wiikey sd adapter works by using GC homebrew (wiikey setup disc) and the GC mem card slot. It's hardware only. You still need to download the wiikey setup disc and use that to dump your games. There are many threads of people that have lots of struggles using it. There are others that have claimed it works as advertised to you'll have to take a stab at it yourself if you want. I know many people that just broke down and bought the LG drive. It's not that expensive.

4. EddyC

EddyC Member

The only reason the LG drives specified work at ripping wii disks is because LG has failed to insert a standard check that most other DVD drives use (i'm not sure what it is). This check will tell the drive that the disk is botched, as a standard wii disk will appear to a dvd drive, but hackers have found that this drive fails to do this check, so with the development of RAWDUMP, we can take the data exactly how it is on the wiidisk minus the authentication information that is on an unreadable sector (by all consumer grade dvd readers) of the disk.

Just so you know, the wii data is layed from the outside in , if i've read correctly.

5. zomgbbq

zomgbbq Member

ok so rite now would my choice be better if i buy the wiikey adapter, i.e from the 2nd link? Because that's a New Zealand site and i'm familiar with it and the price seems good to and the copying time is faster than using the dvd drive ripping, so would i be better off with this? Or is there some other things i can use with a help of a modchip?

and is there any other cool stuff u guys can tell me? I know there are tons but since i just bought it i'm still new and all the sites i found are great but are just forums to download games/apps, i want to exploit it and do cool stuff to it and i know there are heaps, one of them is using ur controller as a TV remote or changing the brightness of ur room, or even use it as a controller for playing ps2 games using PCSX2 emulator, tons of those stuff but i just wanna know more. Thx.

6. zomgbbq

zomgbbq Member

umm....a little help?

7. zomgbbq

zomgbbq Member

8. Spartan28

Spartan28 Regular member

There is an edit button. I backup games via SD dump from the wiikey config. Its works great and faster ripper than the lg drives. I use 2gb and swap 3 times to comp. No problems so far.
    Get that one. Not the last link you post cuz its looks fake.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=135319073

See i edit my message, look above quote+ on your message and the pencil and paper thats the edit button.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  9. shummyr

shummyr Regular member

Tools/Things needed to succesfully follow this tutorial

1. WiiVision's WiiKey Utilities v1.5 (Download Here) at the bottom of the article where it says, "Download:Here" click "Here" and save it to your desktop. Once saved, open that file and it will extract the contents to your "C:" drive. Go into your "C:" drive and open the folder called "WiiKeyUtilities". Inside there, right click on "WiiKey_Utilities" and click on 'Send to' then 'Desktop'. This creates a shortcut on your desktop for easy access to the program.)

2. Softdev's SDDVD dump tool version 0.1g (attached below. Un-rar to your desktop)

3. HJ-Split by FreeByte.com (Download Here) *also avaliable for linux users

4. SD Card (I used a 2GB SanDisk)

5. Geko adapter (either purchased from somewhere, homemade or did the internal 'Geko' mod by Jakweeze found here ((Direct link to Internal 'Geko' Mod) or (PSX Forum Thread))

6. ImgBurn (free program to burn image files.(Download Here))

7. GameCube Controller (If you don't have one, barrow one or buy one. They are fairly cheap now)

8. Blank DVD's

Guide

Step 1: (Creating Boot Disk with DVD Dump tool added) Open WiiKey Utilites. Click the 'Advanced Build/Burn' tab. Select your appropriate region. Click the'Add DOL' button and select Softdev's SDDVD dump tool that your un-rared to your desktop. From here I clicked the button 'Create ISO' and it created an image file located in the "isos" folder inside the WiiKeyUtilites folder in your "C:" drive. Then I used ImgBurn to burn that ISO onto a DVD to place inside my Wii's Drive.

Step 2: (Dumping) Instert the disc you just made into your Wii and start it up through the Game channel. Once it starts, use a GameCube controller to click on "GCOS MB". Then click on "Boot DVD", then select 'A'. Click on "Dols/", click on "sddvd-01g.dol" and follow the instructions on the screen (now would be a good time to insert the SD Card). This will format your SD card and prepair it for dumping. Then insert original game when promted to, and it will continue to dump the game onto the SD card in chunks. Once a chunk is done, you can then bring the SD card to your computer and Cut and Paste the files it creates into a folder on your computer. Once all chunks have been saved onto your computer you may continue to next step.

Step 3: (Creating ISO) Now open "hjsplit". Click 'Join'. Click on 'Input File' and select the FIRST chunck of the game (note: all chunks MUST BE in the same folder!). The Output should automatically be filled in. Then click on 'Start'. Once it finishes go into that folder and you'll see the newly created image file of the game. You may continue to burn that file onto a DVD to later be played on your WII!

Also, you may be able to use the WiiKey Utilities program to also 'dump' the chunks onto your computer by clicking on the "Dump SD Data" button located in the 'Disc Backup' tab of that program. Follow the promts if you do it this way and when the last chunk has been dumped, it will continue to create the image for you that you can then burn

The following is for Wii's with the D2CKey

1. Instead of using WiiVision's Wiikey Utilities v1.5; download this file BootableDisc3.rar (attached below) and unrar it into your C: drive.

2. Place SoftDev's sddvd-01g.dol file into the "my_bootable_disc" located in the C: drive. Also place a file in the same folder that is at least 500MB. It doesn't matter what it is, it's just for padding.

3. Open up the command prompt by typing in "cmd" (without the quotes) into the run command (click Start, then click on Run). Once the command promt has opened, type in "cd\" (without the quotes) and then hit enter. This will get you to the root directory which is "C:\". Now type in "mkisofs.exe -R -J -G C:\my_bootable_disc\gbi.hdr -no-emul-boot -b sddvd-01g.dol -o GameCopy.iso C:\my_bootable_disc" (without the quotes) then hit enter.

4. Now there should be a file called GameCopy.iso in your C: drive. Just burn that with ImgBurn and place it in your wii. Once you start up this disc, it'll go staight into the DVD Dumping screen.

This has been tested to work with a D2C Wii modded with a D2CKey and a D2B Wii modded with a WiiKey. Both Wii's with the latest firmware.

Hope this Helps

10. zomgbbq

zomgbbq Member

ya thx for the guide but i think it's a bit old, the new ones like the one in the first link doesn't require a GC controller, u simply use ur Wii controller

11. shummyr

shummyr Regular member

GAMECOPYPRO is a Scam scam scam

12. seanburby

seanburby Member

Hi,
    I used Friidump to backup my Mario Party 8 PAL game and it produced an ISO file that was approximately 4.3gb I tried burning the file using ImgBurn at 4x with Verbatim DVD-R disc. My PC DVD Drive is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A. When I try and put it in my Wii which is chipped with a WiiKey, I go on the disc channel and it says it cannot read the disc, please consult the operations manual. Do I need to slow down the speed of the burning process? And if so, to what speed? Or is it the fact that my PC drive is simply not compatible?

Also, if I downloaded a Wii ISO, say Super Mario Galaxy PAL, what program and at what speed should I burn the disc at so that it works on my Wii?

13. seanburby

seanburby Member

Hi,
    I used Friidump to backup my Mario Party 8 PAL game and it produced an ISO file that was approximately 4.3gb I tried burning the file using ImgBurn at 4x with Verbatim DVD-R disc. My PC DVD Drive is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A. When I try and put it in my Wii which is chipped with a WiiKey, I go on the disc channel and it says it cannot read the disc, please consult the operations manual. Do I need to slow down the speed of the burning process? And if so, to what speed? Or is it the fact that my PC drive is simply not compatible?

Also, if I downloaded a Wii ISO, say Super Mario Galaxy PAL, what program and at what speed should I burn the disc at, so that it works on my Wii?

14. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

15. seanburby

seanburby Member

Hi,
    Sorry about that, its just that I haven't had a single reply yet.

16. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

That's no excuse to do that. If a person does not answer then just leave it be.

17. seanburby

seanburby Member

Hi,
    Sorry once again. I will not do it again.

18. implicity

implicity Member

Would this work for a PAL wii. I saw the exact same instructions on a different website and it had a link saying 'click here for PAL version' although the link was broken. So hence I'm asking if it'll work with a PAL Wii.

Thanks in advance!