1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about DVD shrink and getting best quality

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by skenzer, Jan 4, 2005.

1. skenzer

skenzer Member

Hello all,
    I have a couple of questions regarding DVD shrink that I hope I can clearly state.
    First question: When I go into "re-author" and look at the browser window on the right and look at the Main Movie section often I see 2 main Titles of which are equal size. For instance, on my Austin Powers Goldmember DVD I see 2 main titles listed, both equal size and both appear to be the same. Can I remove one of these in my final burn to increase my compression ratio? Or are both needed? Another example is my Armagedon DVD shows 2 main titles, one title 1 and one Title 1 (angle 2). Are both needed for the final rip?

My second question is this: On the full back screen, is it ok if I adjust the compression on menus and extras in order to bring up the compression on my main title?

Thanks for you help
    Skenz

2. skenzer

skenzer Member

Hello all,
    I have a couple of questions regarding DVD shrink that I hope I can clearly state.
    First question: When I go into "re-author" and look at the browser window on the right and look at the Main Movie section often I see 2 main Titles of which are equal size. For instance, on my Austin Powers Goldmember DVD I see 2 main titles listed, both equal size and both appear to be the same. Can I remove one of these in my final burn to increase my compression ratio? Or are both needed? Another example is my Armagedon DVD shows 2 main titles, one title 1 and one Title 1 (angle 2). Are both needed for the final rip?

My second question is this: On the full back screen, is it ok if I adjust the compression on menus and extras in order to bring up the compression on my main title?

Thanks for you help
    Skenz

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Uasly when you see 2 titles in the main menu it is cause 1 is widescreen and the other is fullscreen. If you play them you should beable to tell the difrence. And yes you can bring the compression down on menus and extras. I bring them all down as much as they will be compressed to bring up the quility of the movie.

4. forkndave

forkndave Member

Sometimes the other angle will have the credits in a different language. I ran into this once. I saw that both titles appeared to have the same aspect ratio, so I picked the one that was slightly smaller and I wound up with French credits. I reburned it again with the other title and it was English. Generally, if there are different aspect ratios, the first title will be widescreen. If they are the same aspect ratio then the first one has English credits and the other one will be another language. This is on region 1 discs sold in the US. I don't know about ones in other countries. Don't take what I'm saying as gospel, because I could be wrong. These are just things I've observed. I generally have to do something wrong to learn the right way.

5. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

What forkndave stated hapened to me with Troy, I only used the English Audio so the movie was in english but the opening and clossing credit were all in french.