1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions about Emerson DVD Recorder/VCR Combo EWR20V4.

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by billsin04, Dec 14, 2004.

1. billsin04

billsin04 Guest

ok, i have a ton of questions and need answers immediatly.. i am very close to buying the
    --Emerson DVD Recorder/VCR Combo EWR20V4.
    probably within the next 2 to 3 hours, but need these questions answered first everyones help is greatly appreciated.
    1. which brand blank DVDs are best to buy?
    2. do i buy DVD-R or DVD-RW?
    3. i see DVD+R or DVD+RW, how do they differ from the ones mentioned in question two? which ones are better?
    4. can i record to DVD from a television station?
    5. can i record to DVD from a VHS?
    6. are they any problems?
    7. can they easily be fixed?
    8. on a scale of 1 to 5 what would you give this unit?
    9. how is the quality of the burned DVDs?
    10. is setup easy?
    11. how is the on screen display?
    12. i do not understand the speed ie 1x, 2x, 8x or whatever.. what does that have to do with anything? and what do i have to watch out for when speed variation is involved.
    13. is there only a certain speed i can record at?

guys a clear response to these questions would greatly help me. thank you all in advance. if need be i can also be reached at machrking@aol.com and AIM: machrking

2. digidoc

digidoc Member

I purchased the Emerson EWR20V4 combo deck. I upgraded the firmware with the disc provided from the manufacturer. It records fine to Maxell 4x DVD-R discs- before and after the firmware upgrade. I bought TDK DVD-RW 4x discs yesterday. The unit will not recognize them at all, and I get the "dirty disc" message. Has anyone used these discs? Which 4x DVD-RW discs have users had better luck with? The only other brand of DVD-RW (4x) at Microcenter were made by Memorex, any thoughts on those? Thanks for any help.

3. GregRod

GregRod Regular member

Firstly, never use memorex discs in this machine. They do not work well in Funai products.

Second, you can not use x4 Rw's in this machine. It only uses
    1x-2xRw's.

I use Maxell DVD-RW x2 sold at Walmart $16.97 per 15 pack on a spindle. They work great.

The upgrade will only allow you to use DVD-R's 1x-8x. There is no upgrade on the DVD-RW discs.

4. GrammiB

GrammiB Guest

Hello,
    I bought one of these combos about 2 months ago. I really like the recorded results and had no problems upgrading to the 8x. I do have a question, though. I'm very inexperienced with electronics, so please bear with me...
    I bought this unit mainly to record all of our home-recorded VHS tapes to DVD. I just assumed that the dubbing option for VHS-to-DVD would work like a tape-to-tape dub, ie FAST! But as far as I can figure, a 2-hour movie takes 2 hours to dub to a DVD. Am I doing something wrong, or is that the way it works?
    Thanks!!

5. GregRod

GregRod Regular member

Nope...

Takes two hours in real time. No way around this.

6. GrammiB

GrammiB Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. Bummer, I've got about 400 movies!