1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about HP pavilion

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sotellme, Dec 10, 2007.

1. sotellme

sotellme Member

Hello all glad to be here,

I saw some previous threads and found this place helpful so I hope you can help me here, I have a hewlitt packard a1210n PC and everything is still stock besides an old geforce fx5200 pci card I threw in it to get away from the onboard graphics (not much help xD).

This Christmas I pretty much know a gift for me is going to be a 7600GT and I'm going to be happy with it judging the reviews I read.

My question(s), I have heard that some prebuilt PC cases have trouble fitting upgraded PSU's ,is that the case with mine I'm wondering? I looked and it seems like there should be enough room but I don't know that for sure, I would only want to fit in a 400W to 500W PSU in the case.

I heard someone say that EVGA 7600 graphics cards have a lifetime warranty, is this true?.

And last but not least, I am assuming that in order to install the geforce 7600gt all I have to do is properly place it in my PCI-E slot, power up and install the drivers (after clearing original 5200 series drivers) and do not have to connect any extra power cables from my PSU to the card itself, am I right?

Sorry for so many questions I just don't want to see my brother upset that his gift will not work (and naturally I would like it to work ^^) so thanks in advance for the help. =]

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

Cant really help you there not familuar with the case but all standard size psu's are interchangeable regardless of output

It appears to be

http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/

Thats correct

If the card has external power connectors you need to connect them

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  3. sotellme

sotellme Member

This is very re-assuring Thank you

The info I heard must have been reffering to unique cases, now that I think of it I have seen such cases and mine is pretty normal so, cool that's all I need to know!

Happy holidays everybody!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Observe this picture:
    [​IMG]
    If you're going to be attaching a new PSU, make sure the screw holes on the back of your PC are lined up exactly where they are in this case.

As for the power supply, make sure you get a decent brand one, and not just any old cheap unit, or you could have serious problems.

5. sotellme

sotellme Member

Ok I will be sure to keep this in mind, however I do a lot of custom work on automobiles, say the screw holes do not line up, is it bad if I make new ones?

6. sotellme

sotellme Member

Ok this is totally clear to me now thanks everyone, I looked at my case and yes the exact template of screw holes appear and even some extra holes for odd PSU's I assume.

Glad to know this prebuilt is actually going to let me upgrade in peace and yes as is the same in the automotive world my power supply will be carefully chosen to assure my equipment doesn't go hungry or just plain get burned.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As for making extra screw holes, it's not OK, but glad to hear they're in the right place anyway.

8. sotellme

sotellme Member

Please enlighten me to why it isn't I'm very curious, I don't understand (even though I don't have to) why if I got a PSU to fit tight with my own tapped screw holes why it would be a problem?

I have custom fit engines into cars that would never have seen such an engine in a lifetime if I had not custom fit the engine mounts and that's perfectly safe when done right, why not a tiny PSU?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Typically, if the screw holes aren't in the right place, the whole mounting system will probably be wrong as well, as case was designed only to fit the PSU it came with.

10. sotellme

sotellme Member

Ok cool I see the point, I've been looking at too many rediculous pictures of PC's in milk crates and desk drawers with zip ties etc etc holding it together and wondered if there was something I didn't know about PSU stability, but those "rigs" are obviously far from safe or ideal.

Happy holidays =]

11. philraz

philraz Regular member

In the case yes in the psu a bit risky may hit a wire or the circuit board