1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions about modding it

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Boco77, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Boco77

Boco77 Member

Ok I am seriously considering modding my 360 but have some questions that you experts might be able to help me with? :)

As far as I can tell the NME 1.2 chip is currently the best one out? Is it good and reliable? Will it play without any detection problems cropping up?

Is Xbox 360 consoles really picky on the type of media that the backups are burnt onto or do they read off most decent enough media? Mines a launch console.

Lastly I have a crappy DL Liteon burner. It does the job but its just a slow drive starting up/reading/burning discs. Will it be fine? or is having the right burner important too?

2. Memnock

Memnock Active member

1. Forget the chip. Flash it with xtreme firmware. It's free for the most part and has more support.

2. Launch consoles do seem to be more picky. The drives don't seem to work as well with burned game and will be more likely to start messing up.

3. I have a Lite-on. It works fine for me. However there was a point when it stop burning games that would work on one launch console although the same games worked on at least 6 different consoles.

3. shplongl

shplongl Member

1. I agree with the previous poster, just flash it. It simple enough and you have the advantage of flashing back to your original firmware or updating to newer ones.

2. It depends on which drive you have, among other things. I have heard the Hitachi is a bit picky. Verbatim is the tried and true format though. Newegg sells them at a bargain compared to retail stores.

3. You'll just have to try it out, burn as slow as possible. Also, if you have a samsung you have the option of having the drive read the disks at 4x instead of 12x if you have a lower quality burn. Personally I spent 28$USD on a Pioneer 111D. Upgrading is cheaper than buying an actual game (not that you don't already have the game, having a good quality backup is a great idea ;)

4. Boco77

Boco77 Member

How do you go about flashing it?
    do you have to open the 360 up?
    what does it involve? because i really dont want to open the console up. If you want to upgrade or downgrade is that a lot of hassle? Like what if MS release a update to the 360 like the Spring one that will be out soon. is that in any way linked? what if it bricks the 360?
    Also is this what you guys are on about http://www.modchipfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_32&products_id=48

I'm a noob to this sorry but we all gotta start somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If you don't want to open the 360 then you're not going to get it modded... either with a flach or mod chip.

Here's a link to some 360 info regarding flashing. http://www.360mods.net/News/catid=1.html

6. Boco77

Boco77 Member

Cool thanks

I was thinking of getting the Pioneer 11d burner...but I can also get the Pioneer 112 as well. Which one should I get?

7. steimy

steimy Active member

either should work fine as long as it can do DVD+R DL discs.
    Pioneer makes a pretty good burner from what i have read.

8. shplongl

shplongl Member

Not long after I got my 111D they stopped selling it on newegg, all I could find was the 112, so I am assuming it is just the new model. Pioneer is good, so I am assuming it will work fine, look at some reviews maybe.
    And yea, that site is just offering to do it for you. It really isn't that hard. And about the new update, when you flash your firmware it will save your original firmware so you can flash it back if needed. Personally I'm not going to update for a day or so and see what happens.

Textbook's Guide <--All around best guide, its how i learned.

The Scene <--Very good site, these two are where it all happens. Read the forums on this one a bit, its loaded with info. drink in the knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007