1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions about non-sony hard drive install

Discussion in 'PS2' started by x-static, Aug 29, 2004.

1. x-static

x-static Member

**Newbie Warning**

I just recently got my DMS3 modchip installed (professionally) in my v7 ps2 with also has the Network adapter. I also bought a new hard drive for my pc, so i decided to put my old 8GB Western Digital into the PS2. I formatted it with windows XP (FAT32 format).

I have 2 questions:

1. Why were the "plugs" on the ethernet adapter just a tiny bit too close together to plug in the HD?? I had to bend the metal sheeting and almost force the HD onto the ethernet adaptor. Is this normal?

2. What do i do with the hard drive now?? Its not recognized by the ps2 in the browser (as i expected). I have installed the DMS3 explorer, but it doesn't show up there either... do i have to install something else?

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

you must get hdloader or hdadavance for the hardrive to be recoginized by the playstation 2.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  3. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

Sorry for sounding like a n00b, but what kinda things can you do with a hd? Is it just to store PS1/PS2 games?

4. x-static

x-static Member

thanks nelswick... i'll have to look for that. any ideas about the fitment issue i had?

It is my assumption that you can use an hd to play emulations of SNES, Genesis, and NES games, as well store and use programs like a media player and whatnot. I'm not sure about the storing of PS1/PS2 games.

5. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

You can use the HD to backup ps2 games, HD Loader will not backup ps1 games. You can also install other programs such as divx players and such but you do not need a HD for this, it just gives you more room for programs. The main reason someone would buy a HD is to backup games. Also if you have a mod chip installed you could download a cracked version of HD Loader to try it out.

6. x-static

x-static Member

am i right that you can play emulators off the HD too?
    b/c that's the only reason i threw that 8-gig in there. 8 gigs is pretty useless to copy ps2 games

7. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

ya, you can play emulators of the HD, it's just that wouldn't be the only reason i'd buy a HD. Most people who play ROMs on their PS2 don't copy them to HD since it is fairly easy to make a CD that will play ROMs as long as you have a way to play backups.

8. x-static

x-static Member

so wait... i thought you needed to install the emulator software to the hdd? if not then i guess my hdd is pretty much useless right now... hah. oh well, at least it didn't cost me anything.

9. x-static

x-static Member

so... i installed HDLoader... and it told me that it could not detect a hard disk drive connected to my ps2. wtf? i can hear the damn thing spin up when i turn on the ps2!!

10. nklus

nklus Member

I read you have to have a minimum of a 40 gb hard drive, and some aren't compatible. Where did you get Hdloader?

11. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

Ya, the min is 40gb, and some HD's aren't compatible, most are though. Most people use Matrox's which work well. I got mine at consolesource.com, however I heard some people got ripped form them when buying HDLoader, probly because the HDLoader discs aren't as easy to purchase because the company was shut down. HDAdvance is exactly the same.

12. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

Oops, I mean maxtor

13. dbredeson

dbredeson Member

Another noob added to the conversation. Does the PS2 have to have a modchip to use the Hardrive to backup games?

14. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

nope, you can still backup games if you have the original hdloader (without mod).

15. fatalgmr

fatalgmr Member

is a mod-chip needed to play nes snes etc.. emulators on a ps2 if there is a hardrive with it. cuz from what i know the chip is only to boot up the game and when its already on the hardrive the mod-chip isnt needed. also are there any ps2/nes ps2/snes emulators that work well enough yet? and is there a max size of hd a ps2 will support to go with the min. something like 120 i believe.

16. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

what i would still like to know is, when i put the backup of the game on the hd, do i leave it as a .cue and .bin file, or an .iso..i dont know which one the hd can access..can anyone expand on that

17. xpsycho

xpsycho Member

You have to be careful on what hardware you use in the PS2. I have a 40 Gig Seagate in mine and it doesn't quite like it. I used HDLoader to install however whenever I want to access the hard drive, I have to run HDLoader and then browse. The PS2 does not recognise it any other time. Maybe I should pull my 250 Gig out of my PC and try that one...

As for your backups, You need to burn them on CD/DVD in order for the PS2 to recognise it. You can't leave them as an ISO/.bin cause the ps2 doesn't have a .iso/.bin recognition software built in..

18. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

xpsycho, if i am understading you correectly.........your system is actually correct

the ps2 will NOT recognise a NON SONY hdd anyway, the only way to browse a non sony hdd is via hdloader or similar

so its not that your ps2 doesnt quite liek it........thats how its supposed to be

-x-x-x-

19. xpsycho

xpsycho Member

Ahh. I C. So they actually made a deal with maxtor to produce hard drives with a certain Boot Sector on it so the PS2 will actually read it like a mem card.. Sweet. Now I need to get one and do an exact dupe of the drive then.. :) Thanx

20. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

im pretty sure jsut copying everythign from an official hdd will not make a non official one show up

-x-x-x-