1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about playing dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ccm2, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ccm2

ccm2 Member

Hello,
    This is my first post and right up front I will tell you I feel like this is the first day of class for me. I have searched the forums for answers but am still confused. I have a dvd recorder/player(Pioneer 320) attached to my television set. I have used it to copy some old VHS tapes to dvd. I am able to view the dvd's on my TV but am unable to play them on my PC. It appears that I need some additional software in order to play the dvd's. I would appreciate suggestions for inexpensive (or freeware), SIMPLE player software. I have been looking at software to edit my dvd's. Would this type of software also play the dvd's or do I need a stand alone software?

One other question. Could you recommend a link for a BEGINNERS guide for transferring VHS to DVD, editing the content then burning back to DVD? I have looked for such a guide on this site but have had no luck. It is possible it is here but due to my lack of knowledge the termanology may be keeping me from finding it.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

2. john179

john179 Active member

Hello ccm2 and welcome to AD i hope you find AD of good use to you.

Here is a great link for a freeware back up tool for dvd's.This is a great bit of kit you will find really handy.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

As for a free dvd player for your pc if you have windows xp you can use your windows media player.
    If you have windows ME or higher you can get media player 9 from windows update free of charge to watch your dvd's on your pc.

Also some dvd films come with a free dvd player you can install from the dvd to watch movies.If you don't mind paying a few quid i would recomend power dvd as this is not a expensive software but is one of the best around.

Not 100% sure about your vhs conversion to dvd.I would expect should you have a tv in / out on your graphic card or a firewire connection and a dvd authoring software like tmpgenc.You should have no problem completeing this little task.I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who is a expert in this area.I know it is possible as i have friends who convert all the time.

Hope this helps a bit ccm2 and once again welcome to AD.

3. ccm2

ccm2 Member

John179
    Thanks for the reply. I should have given you more information. My PC is a Pentium III and I am running Windows 2000pro.

Thanks again your help is greatly appreciated.

4. john179

john179 Active member

No problem your os is fine and you should have no problem updating your media player.This will then allow you to watch your dvd's on your pc through your media player.Not sure if the Media player that come with windows 2000 supports dvd play back withouta update.But you may as well update anyway.Your system should well cope with vhs transfering providing your graphic card can tranfer the source in or you have a firewire card.

Have a look around this forum link below as you may pick up some useful information.It all about camcorder's which in a sense has alot in comon with the video.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/55

Obviously as i said someone with more knowledge of this stuff will get to you in the end they always do.That's the good thing about this site there is always someone who knows more.