1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about the experience of all the users here on AfterDawn

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by venomX05, Mar 22, 2005.

1. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey all,

Well, if this has already been posted, then I am sorry, and if I can have the link to where it is located at, then I will be more than happy to post there.

I have been frequenting AfterDawn, every single day, noon and night. Pretty much the only site that stays consistant on my screen. My question or should I say questions is this.

Where do you all get your information from when responding to posts? Books, internet, college courses?
    I mean, I am shocked, in a good way, how there is a question, and then like 2 seconds later a response comes in. How long have you all been learning what you know? Any formal education, or just learn everything there is about the program and how it works?

Sorry if this seems long, but I wanted to know how you all get the information you do.

Hope to hear from everyone on this.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Personally, trial and error for me, if you mess on with a program enough, pretty soon you know it inside out. Also, the guides on here are spot on if there's anything you're unsure of.

3. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Yep the trial and error method seems to hold true. Also alot of the poster's here work in the computer field, so knowing your enemy is a good way to conquer them. I just lurk around helping where I can, but usually just learning more and more. Not a day goes by when I'm on here that I don't learn something new/interesting.

Plus the search function is awesome, I think the newbies should have to watch a video on how to use it. I bet only two or three problems I have had haven't been found using it.

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I have tried the search function here over the last couple of days, and it keeps going back to the forum lists. I don't know if it uses keywords like google, or not. I know it worked for me before, but haven't had any luck since.

You mean this video!....http://www.trials-shack.co.uk/posting.html

LOL!

But yeah...I am was wondering, cause usually, when someone post a question, you get this really detailed reponse, like regarding VOB or VTS files and stuff. Now I know what you said about most are in the computer field, like for me, I only started within the last couple of years and now getting into some more detailed things like DOS (only cause I want to learn it) and trying to figure out using and knowing about all the programs that I have.

Still utterly confused about codecs and stuff like that too. LOL!

Hope the response keep coming.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  5. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

That video was hillarious, we need to get some flash-masters to make one for this site.

With the search function sometimes you have to play with it a little bit. Like changing it from "this exact phrase" to all/any of these words, or doing a site-wide search, and the date from last 30 days to "ALL". But I do have to agree with you on the quickness of the responces. I think some might have their net hooked up to a pager, like BBMayo that man is FAST! lol

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Oh yeah, I can believe that one!!!

LOL!

Yeah so far, I am lucky enough to have my questions already answered by previous users. So no worries there!

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

for basic computers and electronics I am 90% self-taught. Tinkering and taking apart stereos and computers was my way of learning how things worked. Then I got troubleshooting skills by figuring out how to put it back together and get it working again. trial and error for sure.

Most of my audio experience is from reading books, DJing provides a good in-field knowledge, and hands on learning was where a good deal of my knowledge came from.

I have combined the best of both worlds for me (computers and audio) by doing digital recording using Pro Tools, for about 6 years now. Now I get to teach what I've learned to students, as I teach audio and advanced audio production at a local college in LA.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

school of hard knocks & about 21 years playing with computers & still learning

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I only started like a couple of years ago, and it was kinda by accident.

But like right now, I am trying to submerse myself in as much info as possible...

But, most of my experience, hasn't really come from trial and error, but more or less on the lines of asking friends, and watching other people try use a program...plus doing ALOT of research.

However, find that if you do it you better understand it than by reading about it.

10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

For me, it comes with the Computer Geek package. =D

11. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

For me it started.....
    About 18 years or so ago....on a trs-80.
    With cassette tape drive. (And 5 3/8 floppy too).

Anyone up for some Lode-runner?

12. Xian

Xian Regular member

I installed my first computer room in 1979. It filled the entire room. It was one of the very early CAD implementations. 12 years later a 386 with Autocad 10 would blow it away, but at the time it was state of the art. I started out doing wiring for industrial computers, Honeywell, Bailey, and several others and switched over to networking. In the early 90s I was supporting DOS, Windows 3.0, and OS/2 and various methods of networking, everything from Decnet to Banyan to Novell. I got bored with supporting servers and switched to working with Cisco and Nortel products in the late 90s. I got Cisco's CCNA, CCNP, and CCDP certifications in 1999 and have been working on WAN design and implementation ever since.

13. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Jesus Xian.. didn't those cost a fortune back then? Or did you have a job installing them...

After all those years... I hope you're still playing them PC games! =D

14. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I guess. LOL

15. ddp

flip, you guess & i wing it as i'm the wing commander!!!

16. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

@flip218 and ddp

Damn if you are all guessing, what the hell am I doing reading all this material...must be a trade secret!

;)

17. ddp

for us to know & for you to find out

18. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I guess so... :)