1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions before purchasing ps2 tomorrow

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rodd187, Jul 29, 2003.

1. rodd187

rodd187 Member

i appologize in advance for these questions, i have searched though past posts for some time now and i can not seem to find the answers to some questions. i have been backing up dvd movies for some time now but i am an extreme newbie as far a ps2 goes so any info would be helpful before shelling out the $
    1. if i purchase a flip top lid and swap magic vs.2 will that be all i need to burn games?
    2. can you use DVD+R media for burning games or must it be DVD-R?
    3. if i purchase a ps2 tomorrow at Best Buy how can i tell what version it will be?
    4. are all games DVD-5 or are some DVD-9 and if so what program and how do i go about backing up large dvd games?

2. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

1.) flip top lid and swap magic vs.2 is all you need to play backups.
    2.) On versions 1-3 it can only read dvd-r, v4 is it or miss with dvd+r v5 and up can read both types of media.
    3.) If you buy a ps2 tomorow and you are in the U.S. then it will be a version 7 cause those are the only versions currently in stock in U.S. which also means you can play dvd+r.
    4.) Almost all games are DVD-5 but there are some DVD-9. example Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty. Don't know much about copying DVD-9 games though._X_X_X_X_X_[small]You are probably wondering how I came up with the name Hanedrick. Well... the name Hanedrick is a very distorted version of my sisters name and I call her that whenever I want to get on her nerves which is like 24/7.
    Version 5 ps2.
    Fliptop Cover/smd[/small]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

If you buy a ver.7 ps2 there will be a few games unplayable with a fliptop/swap magic combo. Games like Tomb Raider and Hitman2 use a double check, which can be solved with the cd loader disc. The problem with ver.7 is that cd loader isn't compatible with it, so those games and future games that use double check are/will be unplayable.

4. telescope

telescope Regular member

My friend y dnt u wanna get a premod instead
    If u really dont wanna solder urself y not go for a Premod
    But choice is urs

5. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Hanedrick, if V4 is hit or miss what is the best to go with in most cases? - or +?

I have a V4 but I am not really sure the best way to go when buying DVD media.

6. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I think that a -r is better no matter what,, others will dissagree but anyway if you have a version 4 definatly go with -r

it will work on all version's pf ps2's
    you will get better compatability across the board on all devices(ie standalone dvd players)
    and blank media for -r is cheaper

7. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I have a ver.4 ps2 and use mostly +r media. I think +r is more stable and less prone to problems and glitches. I've read that +r discs load faster than -r, but I can't say that for sure. I do know that I've found +r to be cheaper than -r. Best Buy has been running some sales and +r has been MUCH cheaper than -r.

8. c7015

c7015 Regular member

only becaue the speed's are different you are comparing two different things that the price has changed because of a different variable

+r more stable that is not true at all I dont know where you heard that but it is not a fact

as for v4's yes allot of them do work but what I am saying is why take the chance allot of them dont work

if you find out that your version 4 can read +r then it really dosent matter what format you get but since you dont why not get a burner that will work on all versions no matter what

9. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

P1Tom: If you have a version 4 you should definately get dvd-r in which you are garunteed success in your ps2 being able to play your backups. When using dvd+r your are chancing it.