1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions: Burning VCD 's...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jimboe, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jimboe

jimboe Member

If I have the folder/file structure of a VCD on my HD (don't have the original VCD, not sure how it was copied to the HD; I assume dragged/dropped), can I then just open Nero or Recordnow DX, and drag those same folders/files to a new "data disc job" and burn, effectively making a new VCD? an exact copy of the original VCD?

Is any data lost/mangled here?

Doesn't a VCD have to be burnt in Mode 2/Form 2 for it to be recognized as a VCD?

And about Mode 2/Form 2:
    Is it simply the folder/file structure of the CD which casues it to be recognized as a VCD, or is it some physical structure change to the normal data CD-- or, some header information wirtten to the CD which causes the CD to be recognized as a VCD?

My questions all stem from the different block size VCD's have (2336 vs 2048 right?).

* I know I could just convert the *.dat w/vcdgear then re-author using vcdceasy, but I'd like to keep the chapter points/menu, etc.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

My answer is simple: DON'T-USE-NERO-FOR-(S)VCDs.
    And you cannot make a (S)VCD with a 'ripped riff file' but you need a 'true mpeg' instead.
    First, extract the AVSEQ01.DAT file from the D:\MPEGAV folder (AVSEQ01.MPG from the D:\MPG2 folder if you have a SVCD).
    Then, conver the 'riff file' into a 'true mpeg' with VCDGear ([vcdgear] folder: use dat -> mpeg or, if you have a SVCD, mpeg -> mpeg).
    Then build a (S)VCD image with VCDGear ([video-cd] folder: mpeg -> cue/bin [cd image+: load the .MPG you just made and build a bin/bue).
    Finally, burn the bin/cue (and ONLY HERE you can use Nero).

3. jimboe

jimboe Member

Makes sense to me.
    I was wondering if there's a way to keep the menu/chapter points etc., since I have the folder/file structure of the VCD already.. that's all.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, I don't play with menus.

One thing you can do is to modify the cuesheet made by VCDGear. You load with Notepad the default cuesheet, something like:
    FILE "C:\your_directory\videocd.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 MODE2/2352
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 00:04:00
    INDEX 01 00:06:00
    edit it and write:

FILE "C:\your_directory\videocd.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 MODE2/2352
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 00:05:33
    INDEX 01 00:07:33
    INDEX 00 00:05:33
    INDEX 01 00:07:33
    INDEX 02 05:07:56
    INDEX 03 10:07:38
    INDEX 04 15:08:02
    INDEX 05 20:07:38
    INDEX 06 25:08:00
    INDEX 07 30:07:30
    INDEX 08 35:07:51
    INDEX 09 40:08:02
    INDEX 10 45:07:39

But the problem, and I haven't still understood why, that depending on the movie you're putting of the VCD, even keeping the chapters fixed (e.g. every 5', in my case) the INDEX points change, in the cuesheet. In the example above mentioned, the chapters were every 5' and the movie was 49' 11" long.
    Every VCD I make the indexes change and I haven't still understood why.
    part from this, you can at lease have some chapters every about 5'.
    Oterwise, extact the cuesheet with CDRWin then paste it in the VCDGear's cuesheet.
    But I don't know how menus are put in the image (if it's only a question of the .cue cuesheet or if it's the .bin image which changes) I never use them an I've never learned to do them.
    Surely you can do that with a REGISTERED version of VCDEasy, but I couldn't say you how.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  5. manyone

manyone Member

nero has capable menu building facilities. go ahead and create the true-mpeg versions of the file/s you see inside mpegav as described above. as a result you should have one or more mpg's on your hard disk.
    start up nero and select the nero express interface and pick video-cd as your target. turn on 'enable menu'. click 'add' and highlight those new mpg's in logical order into the destination box. 'finish' when done. click on each video item, click properties, click menu and retype 'title' (eg. part1, part2) - push slider to select a frame to represent thumbnail for the video segment and repeat for all video items. 'next' when done. click 'text' to supply title for the whole cd. burn.