1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for the Ahead software person on this forum

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by x24val, Dec 28, 2004.

1. x24val

x24val Member

I produce my own videos and have had a nightmare-ish time burning functional DVDs recently. I usually produce very short video 3 to 15 minutes and my burning success has been good for such projects.

The latest:

I produced a 33 minute memorial video for my father. The 3 photo montage videos were finished first (TT: 12 minutes) rendered to DV-Avi in Adobe Premiere, then successfully transcoded/burned to DVD with Nero. No problem! I later did an edit of the video from the memorial service (TT: 21 minutes) and edited in the 3 photo/music videos (TT: 33 minutes)... I spent the next two days making coaster!!!! As I tried to commit this 33 minute production to disc. THe only thing that worked in the end was to split the DV-AVIs into two segments that transcoded to less then .99gb VOBs, then have the two titles/halves play back to back. After I did that it burned perfectly, but the finished video had an ugly pause in it.

In trying to burn the uncompromised DV-AVI version I tried 4 different DVD formats/brands.
    Questions:

1.Why do all my Nero DV-AVI to VOB transcodings get broken up at .99 GB? Is that normal?

2.Can this VOB size limit be fixed/stopped?

3.Is this "breaking up" the reason I couldn't make a functional DVD? (although they all worked on a computer)

Finally, I'd like to have chapters, but when I try to create chapters internally, not chapters on the menu. Can this be done in Nero.

-Chris
    www.chrisvalentines.com

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I assume you mean ccampbell when you say "the Ahead software person" but I'll answer anyway ;)

1. The DVD-Video specification requires that individual VOB files be no bigger than 1GB. This just means Nero is doing things by the book.

2. I don't use Nero so I can't help with this one.

3. Sounds like it.