1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on PS2 Backups

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by mkp, Oct 6, 2004.

1. mkp

mkp Member

Hello, and thanks in advance.
    I have searched this forum for several hours and now have more questions than I did when I started about backing up my copies of PS2 games.
    First, My PS2 is a V4, the one that came with GT3 a few years back. It plays DVD movie backups on DVD+R format just fine. (DVDXCopy was used to make movie copy). XCopy has given nothing but trouble as of late for some reason...
    I have since downloaded DVD Decrypt & Shrink. Haven't quite figured out how to back up movies, but it appears I have successfully backed up a game (Jak II) I didn't receive errors.
    My first question is, are there mod-chips (w/ or w/out swap cards) on the market that will easily and consistently read DVD+R formatted discs? Or, are they all designed for DVD-R?
    Second, When playing backups do you lose any of the features from the original i.e. online play, and can you save your progress to a memory card?
    Last, I've read in this forum that the no solder type chip can blow fuses. I like the idea of the no solder type, but it seems more of a hassle if fuses continuously fail. What is the best overall way to go for chip as far as not losing any of the original game's features, causing damage to console?, and If I purchase a no solder type, I will most likely be installing it myself, is it extremely difficult?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

The mod chip has nothing to do with which format your ps2 can read.

Backups are exact copies of the originals. You don't lose anything, but for playing online you need to patch the backup with the dnas id from the original.

Last, DONT get the no solder chip. It still requires you to use the swap magic boot discs. Get the fliptop and swap magic discs instead if you don't want to get a real modchip in it.