1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions Regarding a 3.10 Japanese PSP Import

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by PreZBren, Apr 14, 2007.

1. PreZBren

PreZBren Member

Hi everyone.

I have just imported a new Sony Japanese Champagne Gold PSP to the United States and I have a few questions about it:

Firstly, if I ever decide to update, does it matter which version of system software/firmware (Japanese or U.S.) I use to update with? I take it that installing U.S. versions will not change the UMD movie region coding from 2 to 1. Either way, what are the recommendations?

Secondly, I understand that I cannot watch U.S. UMD movies on an imported Japanese PSP, but can I still watch U.S. DVD movies transferred to a memory stick pro duo and watch them from there without custom firmware?

Lastly, what type of motherboard does the new Japanese Champagne Gold PSP have? I've read that some of the new motherboards (TA-082 and TA-086) may turn a PSP into a brick if downgraded and flashing/updating the wrong way. Because of this, is it now possible and safe to downgrade the system software and install a custom firmware on it at this time?

My actual last question falls into the custom firmware area in more detail and probably more appropriate to post it in the custom firmware forum section.

I hope I can get most, if not all of these answers.

Thank you for everyone's time and effort.

-PreZBren

2. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

firmware shouldn't matter
    dump the movies to ur ms then convert it on ur cpu and then read it on ur ms
    check the motherboard urself with one of the many guides on the internet (WITH GOOGLE)
    and unless u want to use location free player i'd suggest getting 3.03oe-c or 3.30oe-a

3. PreZBren

PreZBren Member

Thank you for your repsonse. It answers some questions.

While I'm here, is it possible to reboot the PSP running official Sony PSP system software and hold down the R button to access and change region codes? Or is that only possible on custom firmware versions only?

Anyone feel free to shed some more light on my first post and this. Import PSPs seem to be a rare topic, but it's much more interesting.

Thanks for everyone's time.

-PreZBren

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  4. dallasj

dallasj Member

That only works with custom firmwares