1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pessimist, May 27, 2007.

1. pessimist

pessimist Member

hi, im about to buy a ps3. but my tv is a very old model. the graphics will not good when watching tv. will the ps3 leave marks on the tv if i play games on it?

and besides tat, wad is the use of installing another OS for ps3 such as yellow dog and linux?

2. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Yellow Dog is a version of Linux. And what do you mean your t.v. doesn't have good graphics?=S I don't think it leaves marks...and the using of installing another OS is so you can do more stuff and it's cool.

3. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Its not your TV that runs the graphics it displays them.
    I,am assuming that its a CRT TV (standard) and not a HDTV so you wont benefit from high res but it will still run, just wont look half as good as it would on HDTV.

4. pessimist

pessimist Member

erm ok thanks. besides tat, wad are the super cool stuffs tat u can do with linux or yellow dog? ps3 is multi-OS system rite?

5. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

This is very true. If you must have the PS3 ASAP, then get it. But if you can wait until you get the new TV, wait. Trust me. It's definitely worth it.

I got the PS3 when it first came out but I didn't get the new HDTV until a couple of months ago. When I connected the PS3 to the HDTV with an HDMI cable, you know what the first thing I said? "Why the hell did I wait so long?" The difference is unreal.

6. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Any still picture that does not change can burn in a CRT. You could be watching a VCR tape and pause it and the image could be permanently burned on the screen (that is if you have a 4 head VCR and left it on for a long time, and the VCR did not have auto off heh). All video games that have a portion of the screen that does not change can burn in on the screen but it takes a long long time, like leaving it on over night or play the same game over and over for days at a time. If you change the games you play and do not play a game with still graphics for a long time, everything should be OK. If you leave the PS3 on over night the XMB could burn into the screen. LCD, DLP and newer plasma TVs do not have this problem but it is still not a good idea to leave a DVD menu or the PS3 on the screen all night long, that is just a waste of electricity LOL! If you fall asleep playing oblivion then make sure your TV has an off timer or get a LCD, DLP or newer Plasma TV. On second thought dot get a plasma, they suck 'jmo' LOL!

7. pessimist

pessimist Member

haha. thanks for your help. i wan to get a sony bravia lcd HDready tb.

8. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

If you are going to get a PS3 I would recommend a 1080p LCD TV not a rear projection LCD or DLP (The bulb goes out in like 2-3 years ~$350 US). A flat LCD 1080p TV should be good for 7-10 years before the back light goes out. I am sure there will be a few that go out sooner but that’s what the best buy protection plan is for. The plan will cover LCD back lights but will not cover the bulb in the DLP and LCD projection TVs after 1 year. (I could be wrong on this ask a best buy reprehensive to be sure) There is a huge difference between LCD non projection TVs. The main difference is in the video filtering; Sony looks way better but also cost way more. A no name would be much cheaper but the video quality would suffer greatly. The best thing to do is go to a tweeter center or a best buy Mongolian center and look at the difference for your self. If you cant tell buy what ever looks best. Keep in mind that the PS3 looks best in 1080p but make sure the TV will also do 720p as most games default to this resolution and if your TV can not do 720p like mine then it defaults to 480p and that looks like crap compared to 1080i. Confused yet? Hope not, ask if you have any questions.