1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Advice please - Irish member

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by RCO2000, Oct 5, 2011.

1. RCO2000

RCO2000 Member

Hi, Just need some quick advice - what is the best/most reliable cs box to use in Southern Ireland (Blade/Dreambox 500??) & of course, a reliable seller (don't want to end up with a clone or no after sales service) please?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Dreamboxs are more or less clones, but open source , blade is a good alrounder, Blade is HD, PVR and 3D ready, easy to flash, but closed source firmware,

Skywonder do the blade, Dreambox you will get most places, but all 500 are clones

3. RCO2000

RCO2000 Member

Thanks Mickah for your help. Will prob opt for a Blade.
    What is the difference between open & closed source firmware?

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Open source is where you can load firmware that other folks have created, so you can load different types and its updated by various people, but its not controlled by anyone and can found in most places - Closed source is controlled by the box supplier, sim to the Starview, they control the firmware, update it etc

5. RCO2000

RCO2000 Member

Thanks again...hopefully a Blade System will be easy to set up & they don't let us down like the old starview/up-see of a few years back :)

6. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

use clones all the time. Wasn't aware there was an issue with them. Closed source essentially means little to no support for future encryption developments, open source means a team of developers constantly working on breaking systems. Now make your choice

7. RCO2000

RCO2000 Member

I'd love to hear from someone in Ire / West of Ire that is currently using one or may even have tried both options so that I could make a more informed decision. The closed source frightens me a little as it may be obsolete next week esp if new encryption is introduced?

8. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

You dont mention what chans your after, Free to Air I would just got for a FTA box, you want sport and the trimmings, your looking at Card share (private share or public server) regardless of what box ya want, so regardless if your in the west of ireland or west of england, its the same scenario for all, it works the same way, I suggest you have a read up on the Dreamboxs to see whats involved, use the search function above for the posts and guides, Loads of Blade posts to, Blade offers more in way of HD, 3D ready, PVR, a basic Dreambox 500, is a Linux box, a good box with firmware out there, its Standard def box, can pick one up for about 40 to 60 euros if you shop about, if you dont know Linux or anyway technical, Blade may be the choice for you, flashed using a USB stick,

You mention encryption, unless your going to use the box for FTA, both these boxs work using card share to get extra chans, other than that its FTA, no box work on Nagra 3 encryption or NDS currently

but nothing is forever, rumours every week or two about this change that change, lots of folk have their own opinion and wont be swayed, so bear that in mind when reading posts,

Best bet is to read the posts on here to get a better idea,

9. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

one thing to learn at this game is that nothing frightens. Its a game and nothing else. If it frightens you then go the normal route and buy a subscription.

10. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

No certs in this, you read and read and read on your chosen box, if its what I mention above, easy to flash, HD, PVR, 3D etc, then Blade is for you, great picture from it, if you want possible longevity, then the Dreambox, harder to flash and load, but there are some great guides/tutorials on here and its SD, not HD, now you can get a HD version, but much deearer than the 500 version, but its up to you in the end, the game moves all the time and if you want to move with it, you have to be prepared to do it, but its not plug and play, its not hell either, you need to read up to get a better idea yourself of whats what,

11. RCO2000

RCO2000 Member

Thanks lads, the advice you give is excellent & very much appreciated. I am awaiting an email response ex Skywonder to confirm they have what I need in stock i.e. Blade that will work with sly satelite

Now some more reading on the diff between private & public servers!
    :)

12. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

private servers, you share among friends and share the cost of a full subscription. Public servers, you pay someone you don't know via credit card for a service that you have no idea how long it will last. Usually it lasts as long as it takes the police force to react to it. Now which would you like?

13. RCO2000

RCO2000 Member

That's a "no brainer" - Cheers