1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick custom wireless question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mustang2b, Apr 10, 2007.

1. mustang2b

mustang2b Member

Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I can get an answer here. I was wonder, what happens if I install an internal wireless mini-pci card into a laptop that didn't have wireless as an option. So it doesn't have the antenna and the only reason why they have the mini-pci slot accessible is for the 56K modem. I was hoping that if I put a wireless card into where the modem currently is, I can pick up wireless signals but just with less range because there is no antenna. I appreciate any help.

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

what model laptop and OS are you using?
    The slot you are refering to is a pcmcia slot and yes you should be able to use a wireless card if you have a removable nic card. These usually have a small button that pops out when pushed in then when you push it in again the modem slides out. Do a search on the web for wireless pcmcia cards. Be careful what card you buy some require a double slot, some don't and this also depends on what your laptop has available.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

4. mustang2b

mustang2b Member

I'm using a Compaq Presario 735ca. And it's not the PCMCIA I'm refering to but the actual Mini-PCI slot on the bottom of the computer that houses the modem. I'm currently using the PCMCIA card for wireless but want to eliminate it because I've only got one PCMCIA slot and want to use it for other things like a high speed USB port or TV tuner. It would also be much easier if I could just put the wireless into the inside. My router is in the center of my apartment, so I'm not too worried about the range of my router; I'm worried if the card won't pick up anything at all. Again I appreciate the help!

5. mustang2b

mustang2b Member

I guess nobody knows or has tried this then

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

sorry mustang I lost track of this thread. after doing a quick search on the net it seems this computer may be a few years old just like my dell laptop. :( I do not think you will be able to add a wireless card internally to this setup because of it's age, now I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am. I think you are stuck using the pcmcia card slot.

7. mustang2b

mustang2b Member

Ok, thanks for looking though. I appreciate it.