1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Fliptop Questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mook8515, Apr 16, 2004.

1. mook8515

mook8515 Member

1. Does Fliptop work with DVD+R's (memorex)
    2. Can I install a Fliptop if I already have a solder modchip installed (outdated)
    3. Can I use Action Replay instead of the swap magic
    4. Can it play all backups just like the current solder modchips can?

Thanks for any answers. I really appreciate it.

EDIT: Can I install a different solder modchip if I already have a solder modchip installed? I have a V2 PS2.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Signature[/small]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  2. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

1. Depends on what version you have. Versions 1-3 can't. Some version 4's can (not all) and versions 5+ can read them. You have a version 2 so no you can't.
    2. Yes, modchips and fliptops don't interfere with each other.
    3. Yes but I wouldn't recomend it for DVD backups. You can boot cd-r backups like you would with a smd. With DVD backups you need go through this process where you swap in a high TOC original. It really is best just to buy the smd
    4. Fliptops play between 90-95% of all backups whereas the current solder chips like the DMS3, Magic V, and Messiah can play 100% of them. You can get fixes for those 5-10% that don't work at http://www.swapmagicfix.com/

Yes you can install a different solder modchip if you already have another solder modchip installed but you will probably have to take out the old one.
    Hope this helps:)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]You are probably wondering how I came up with the name Hanedrick. Well... the name Hanedrick is a very distorted version of my sisters name and I call her that whenever I want to get on her nerves which is like 24/7.
    Version 5 ps2.
    Fliptop Cover/smd[/small]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  3. mook8515

mook8515 Member

Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. So it looks like the flip top is not an option for me since I only have a DVD+R writer. Since my old Origa chip doesnt seem to play 2004 games on a DVD+R backup, is my only option to try to replace the old chip with a newer one (magic 3.1 or dms3)? Can swipe cards play 2004 DVD+R's? I am able to play DVD+R's that are before 2004 with my old Origa chip.

4. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

You will not be able to play DVD+R backups with either the fliptop cover, slide-card, or no solder chip with your version 2. All those methods do the same thing. The only difference is how you go about doing it. I don't know to much about modchips I have heard that using a current solder modchip will enhance ho well it reads discs. However, I don't know if it will work or not. The only other option would be to get a DVD-R burner and you would be able to but your DVD-R backups using the fliptop.