1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick please reply going to mod now! :)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by ziggi_83, Aug 31, 2007.

1. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

Well me and my friend whos a professional solder is about the mod my wii with a wiikey and we are not sure if its a clone or genuine, he said that we can tell by modding it and if works without the setup disc then its real if it needs the setup disc its a fake, is that true? p.s. we dont mind modding it then taking it out again..

2. Mark187

Mark187 Regular member

No.

3. aznsai

aznsai Member

not true.
    they both work the same.
    i have both and they both work without the setup disk.

4. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

is there any difference between genuine and clone because i dont want to have to open it up again and mod it etc etc

5. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

if they work who cares

but....

if wiikey did EVER release a update that could tell the difference and brick the clone or reduce functionality, then it would matter

the chances of wiikey actually producing a update are pretty slim so u shud be ok :p

6. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

thanks all
    thimone you made my mind up!, i got a genuine wiikey and going to mod it now :)

7. allaw

allaw Member

I bought my Wii end of July, it is a D2B. I try soldering the WiiKey on and found out that pad 3 on the official pic is not there, not to mention the 3 missing legs too. I have used some 30 gauge kynar wires to connect the legs, then soldering all the connection points and connected (3) to the 2nd leg on the right side of the missing legs, which used to be pad 3. Now I have tried re-soldering it multiple times and neither the setup disc work nor copies work. Any thoughts? 1 thing I am not sure about the soldering is that there is no way to test the 3 missing legs after soldering. How do you boot up with the setup disc, do you load it just like loading a game?

8. Mark187

Mark187 Regular member

Post a close up picture of your install.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  9. kevwolf69

kevwolf69 Member

i cant believe some of the dumassed questions surrounding the wiikey issue.... if your not absolutely sure about your capabilities to successfuly do a diy install THEN DONT DO IT!!!! i have just installed a wiikey into my machine its got a d2b chipset with the three legs cut off... after 4 attempts to get things working i finaly got the setup disk to boot! i concider myself to have good skills around pcb's but i kid u not the initial job of dremmeling the surface of the drive chip to expose the tracks to solder onto is a nightmare to say the least!!; and thats only the begining. the dimentions of the tracks can only be described as like soldering an eyelash onto a spiders leg its that small i had 2 inpection magnifiers set up in tandem just to get the detail i required. in short if u have any doubts then dont do it!!!!!
    of course if u have d2a or a d2b(with the legs intact) then by all means give it go but be warned a 15w iron with a pencil tip is a must, pre-tin all the pads and TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!
    luckily i now have chipped wii that plays backups, was it worth the 4 hours of nerve gangling stress... of course!! nintendo we love u!!!