1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question about using regular tv cable on my LCD

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Arcas51, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Arcas51

Arcas51 Member

I recently purchased this LCD from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...iption=Olevia+Silver+23"+HD+LCD+TV+Model+323V

And as you can see it shows that it has a spot for an analog tv cable on the bottom of the panel, but my tv didn't come with one (there's no spot that says "tv") and now I don't know how I'm going to watch tv. I'm pretty new when it comes to LCD's so if anyone could point me in the right direction, maybe there's something I could buy? I'd be really grateful.

And btw I'm using the HDMI port for my PS3. So if I have to buy something that uses the HDMI port then it could get pretty annoying but I guess I could deal with it.

Thanks in advanced.

2. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

does ur cable box have rca's? my directtv has hdmi rca's....dont know about cable if its analog only havent seen the new boxes.....and just buy a hdmi switch that lets u plug 2 or 3 into one box and connects to ur tv had the same problem when i bought my LCD for the bedroom.....

3. Arcas51

Arcas51 Member

Really? There's no way that I can just attach the cable to some type of device that can plug into the tv? There's nothing like that? Crap, I hope so.

4. riley804

riley804 Member

Not sure if you wanted to do this, but you could get a cable box from your local cable company and the cable line from wall would go to the input of the box, and then use the componet wires from the box to the tv.

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Your tv should have a coaxial cable input in back. Screw your cable to that and look in your tv instructions how to use the tv's tuner to pick up cable signals. Probably same button you use for the HDMI selection for PS3 My Sammy has a Coaxial AIR input for tv antennas(Indoor or out) and CABLE inputs. Your TV is required it's own tuner to get it to work this way, otherwise you will need to get a cable box. Monitors require a cable box.

6. Arcas51

Arcas51 Member

Yeah, exactly. When I looked at the picture on the website, it showed that it had the input on the back but when I got the tv there was no input to be found. I think I may have to get a cable box.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate the input. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If your new tv was supposed to be that model # and doesn't have what the picture showed, you should return it and get the one in the picture. You must have gotten a monitor.

8. Arcas51

Arcas51 Member

Yeah that makes sense. I'll look into that. Thanks a lot for your help Garmoon.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Hope you can get it sorted. Welcome to AD.