1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickest formatting method for DVD+RW media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jeph2k3, Aug 16, 2007.

1. jeph2k3

jeph2k3 Guest

What is the quickest and easiest way to format a DVD+/-R disc?

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Use your recording software to record the files as either video (DVD-Video) or data (UDF 1.5). The recording software takes care of the file structures.

DVD+/-RW, on the other hand, needs to be formatted for packet-writing uses similar to floppy disks before they can be used for changing files. (They can also be recorded just as DVD+/-R media as described above. No files can be deleted from them, but they can be completely erased and used again. That avoids a lot of problems.) There are scores of incompatible packet-writing formats, and they have caused the majority of problems with rewritable optical media.

The only cases where write-once media (DVD+/-R) need to be formatted before use is when the recording is in the DVD-VR format. That format is for camcorders and DVD video set-top recorders that do not have a predetermined time length assigned to them before recording (unless one sets up a DVD recorder to record an exact amount of time such as "2 hours"; in that case, the recorder will record the disc in the standard DVD-Video format instead of the multi-session DVD-VR format.) It's confusing. I hope this helps.

3. jeph2k3

jeph2k3 Guest

Thanks, but that was a whole lot of nothing that I needed to actually know! Sorry, I was just trying to figure out what is the QUICKEST way to FORMAT my DVD+RW disc's and/or what program is best to use. Thanks anyway!

4. jeph2k3

jeph2k3 Guest

I just noticed that I wrote DVD+R rather than DVD+RW media! Oops! Sorry about that everyone I made a mistake. Hey, I have been a part of these forums for many many years now and this was the first time I really made a mistake this stupid so please cut me some slack if possible.