1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickest program to encode MPEG to DVD and burn?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by PrinceKee, Mar 26, 2004.

1. PrinceKee

PrinceKee Member

I've been using Nero Express and Ulead to burn my mpgs to dvd but they both take forever to convert and burn. Nero takes 3hrs and Ulead is around 2 1/2. Is there another program that does it quicker? Thanx in advance...

2. memcco

memcco Regular member

you've got some reading to do....lotsa ways. try TMPGE..it's free and very easy to use...that's if you're mpeg needs converting to dvd(mpeg2)...if it's already mpeg2 video and 48hz audio, then use tmpge's dvd author....it's very fast in creating the ifo, bup, and vob files you'll need..then using nero, create an iso/udf dvd. mike

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi princekee
    If you want speed try MainConcepts encoder,you didnt mention low cost,which mainconcepts isnt.Its very simple to use,and for me it encodes in less than real time.And its alot better encoder than TMPGEnc,and nero.Then burn with nero,or whatever you want.
    trial version available I dont have a link,just search google.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.
    read and sign this:http://www.petitiononline.com/fairuse/petition.html[/small]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  4. whassup

whassup Regular member

Speed and quality are inversely proportional. Depends how much degradation you can put up with by decreasing the encoding time.

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ok whassup
    Now that you've stated the obvious.What method do you suggest to use?
    Your time,quality theory is blown out the window however,when you look at the time it takes for nero(terrible encoder imho)or TMPGEnc,compared to MainConcepts encoder.

6. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

I'm with Jim on this one, Mainconcept is the Daddy of encoders. Nero Vision Express is, personally speaking, shite, lol. TMPEGEnc always froze my 'puter up (???).
    My method:MainConcept MPEG Encoder
    TMPEGEnc DVD Author
    DVD2One / DVD Shrink (if compression required).

Dene

7. whassup

whassup Regular member

Well, I agree the Nero encoder is crap. The time-tested speed-quality theory is only good when you're talking about dedicated encoders.

I've tried MainConcept, CCE, TMPGEnc, ProCoder, etc. MainConcept is faster (well, CCE is pretty fast too) but the quality just isn't as good as TMPGEnc or ProCoder, IMO. Ok, I can adjust the settings so I get comparable quality but then the speed slows right down to what TMPG is anyways.

It depends what you're encoding. If it's a DVD rip, then it pretty well doesn't matter since the source is so high quality. The same holds true for cartoons/anime since the you don't really need high picture quality in the first place.

However, it's very noticeable when you use lesser quality sources, say, captured video from a DV camcorder (which is what I do). This is the whole point about my (cryptic) statement :

One last thing. In some other threads about people complaining about video/audio syncing, MainConcept (and to an extent, TMPGEnc) is very bad at this. It's especially evident when you're going from 25 fps to 29.97 fps (or vice versa). With ProCoder, there are no syncing issues, period.

Personally, I just love using TMPGEnc. Also, I love ProCoder even more but it takes a little longer than TMPGEnc. When I'm encoding DVD rips, it's TMPGEnc for me. When it's my home videos of my vacations around the world, it's ProCoder and nothing else.

I know some people swear by MainConcept and that's fine. If it does the job you want, more power to you.

safc_66, just because TMPGEnc crashes on your computer doesn't mean the program's bad. I don't know what's wrong with your setup but I've run TMPGEnc back in the days of Win 98, ME and now on XP. In fact, I'm not sure how you can even make a comparison when you can't even run it in the first place.

I realize it's gotten a little off-topic and the original poster wanted something fast. The quick answer is to use either MainConcept or CCE.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Never had a problem w/ encoding NTSC to PAL whilst using MainConcept MPEG Encoder (not matter which avi/xvid used) ... so I'd have to seriously disagree !
    Mainconcept is fast & no need to seperate audio + video ;-)

9. whassup

whassup Regular member

Really? With MainConcept, I find most of the probs with audio/video syncing occur when the audio is AC3 encoded (and changing from 25 fps to 29.97 fps).

10. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

No, i've never had a prob with converting from ntsc to pal or vice versa, no matter what the s/track.

I only use mainconcept to encode, have tried all the others tmpgenc (so-so) nero (crap) and even got my hands on a cracked version of Cinema Craft, but havent used it properly yet, not sure what the deal is with the output files, but it seems to be the quickest encoder, and according to the talk, the best quality too, but it's hardly consumer level s/ware, it's hell expensive, yeah?

Mainconcept all the way.

11. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Sorry whassup, you're right. I personally have never had a prob encoding pal to ntsc, but my dad had a problem converting ntsc to pal when he was capturing from a vhs (ntsc tape), the capture worked fine, but when he tried converting it to pal and burnt the disc, about halfway thru each episode the audio goes out of sync, but when i convert my ntsc movies to pal they work fine, so it seems there is something wrong, maybe its just the specs from the capture aren't the norm, or there is a bug in mainconcept not liking captured video, all i can think is run the vid thru g-spot if you don't already and make sure everything is money.

12. herbsman

'capturing from vhs' --- was MacroVision removed ?

Quite often here in Europe (I'm in U.K) you dont have to convert NTSC to PAL ... nearly all DVD Players & TVs are PAL / NTSC compatible ;-)

13. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Yeah, knew that about dvd players, tho i think some vcr's don't support both formats, not all of em. The vcr was pal, the tape was ntsc (original superman episodes from america, god knows how this dude got em, we're in outback australia pretty much, anyway, we could only capture the vid stream normally in ntsc (pvr s/ware) tho it showed in blacjk and white, but when it was in pal the pic was all screwed up.

Is it possible to remove the macro vision w/ pvr? thats the leadtek s/ware. Been drinking a bit, not sure if my post is overly coherent.

14. herbsman

DVD±R needs MPEG2 (DVD compliant*)

*DVD compliant needs 48000hz audio & the right resolution(s)

15. Manngo

Manngo Member

There is a program called Cinema Craft Encoder, a crazy good and fast encoder. On a 2,5 GHz pentium it will encode 1,5-2 faster than the video played. The more memory makes higer speed. Best quality result can be get using 4 pass VBR setting. It is about 4 Hours in case of a 2 hour movie.
    But!
    Can be used with D2SRoBa, that is a special add-on. It predicts size in 1 pass VBR mode, to be able to encode in 1 pass the whole movie with excellent quality. This case encoding is about 1 hour 15 minutes for a 2 hour movie. I use this combination, it really works good. Otherwise I would be a bit bored with my 1 GHz PIII. :)

16. GPB

GPB Guest

I was reading your discussion about converting NTSC to PAL and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice how to change NTSC Vob files to Pal Vob files. I have several DVDs sent from the USA to UK but they play in B & W in my PS2 (I don't have a DVD player). I know how to Rip, Edit and Burn them but not how to convert the Vob files. Thanks in advance.