1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

- R and + R Comment

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by PSTizzle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. PSTizzle

PSTizzle Member

I have used +R dvds for like a year now and never had problems and people never compained about it not working. About 2 weeks ago i got some -R's in mistake and they wont work at my house and other peoples players wouldnt play them. I say this because ive been reading on here and most people are saying that -R's are better cuz more players will play them so im confused now. Comments please.

2. duece2626

duece2626 Member

I have read that the +R's are more compatable with the newer DVD players. The -R's are compatable with the older players(2 years).

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

dvd-r's came out before dvd+r's, so older players can't play dvd+r's. But all players made in the last two years should be able to play both formats. it could be an issue with the quality of your media. what brand are they?

4. PSTizzle

PSTizzle Member

Ritek Ridata

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  5. PSTizzle

PSTizzle Member

So if i go with the Taiyo Yuden, should i go with the +r or the -R?

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Taiyo Yuden are top quality, either format is great. But considering your problem, I would suggest you stick with +r.

7. shawbros

shawbros Member

That's not true. Older Panasonic and Sony players won't recognize DVD-R discs at all. +R are more compatible will all players old and new but this only holds true if you set the booktype to DVD-ROM (aka: bitsetting).
    Considering we're talking about the best, quality of media is no longer the issue. If your writer is capable of bitsetting then the choice is clearly +R. If you can't bitset then +R are a waste of time.

8. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

by "older" how old do u mean? i have a panasonic dvd h.t. in a box system that is over 2 years old. all i use is dvd-r and haven't had a single problem w/ playback on them (had a little trouble w/ dvd+rw, though). thought about trying dvd+r but not sure if i should chance it.

9. PSTizzle

PSTizzle Member

Whats bitsetting? I use decryptor and shrink to burn all my backups

10. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

it means changing the booktype, so the dvd player will think that the disk is a dvd-rom, instead of a dvd+r. In DVDD, click the small book icon next to the speed box.

11. PSTizzle

PSTizzle Member

Hmmm... so i just click on the lite on tab since that what i have and then under "change for:" i put "next write" and then choose "dvd-rom" for "next setting:" [bold]???[/bold]

sound right?

12. PSTizzle

PSTizzle Member

Well thanx for the help about the bitsetting but it didnt seem to work. Thanx for the info everyone

13. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

your burner might not support bitsetting. check if there is a hacked firmware for your burner that will give it that capability.