1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

+R and -R question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by s2god, Jan 29, 2005.

1. s2god

s2god Regular member

what exactly is the difference? and also, i can burn
    -R's perfect, works on dvd player and everything. my friend can burn +R and they work on MY dvd player as well. but when i burn a +R, they do not play on my dvd player, only on my portable dvd and PS2. can someone help me?

2. kdob

kdob Member

Supposedly the only difference is that older dvd players play the dvd-r's while the newer technology does both. From little experience I can't tell the difference quality wise. As far as your friend being able to burn them and play on yours while yours doesn't work, if you havent already, try updating the software for your burner and ripper, as well as dvd burner firmware.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  3. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

Source supermediastore.com http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmediafaq.html

[bold]What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?[/bold]

DVD-R was developed by Pioneer. It is designed to be a recordable format compatible with DVD Video players and DVD ROM drives. This standard was approved by the DVD Forum and has been adopted by many DVD equipment manufacturers.
    Due to the fact that such standards are based on numerous patents, where the licensing of these patents costs manufacturers who do not own the patents substantial royalties in order to produce compatible equipment or media, a separate consortium of manufacturers decided that their financial interests would be best served by developing a competing recordable format. This format is known as DVD+R. The consortium is known as the DVD+RW alliance.
    [bold]It is hard to say that one format is better than the other. Neither have significant advantages over the other.[/bold] Both are good but not perfect in terms of their ability to create discs that are playable in most standalone DVD players. The bottom line is that you should pick a burner that suits your requirements, and buy media designed for your burner. The good news is that there are new burners such as Pioneer106 or Pioneer 107 that now support both -R and +R.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Taken from Glossary Tab at the top of your Browser:

"DVD-R is technically slightly less advanced than its competitor, DVD+R. But the year 2002's projections of blank media sales show that sales of DVD-R media will exceed 90,000,000 discs during 2002 while sales of DVD+R media will be only 13,000,000.

Both, DVD-R and DVD+R, formats are write-once formats. DVD-R's "sister format" is called DVD-RW which is essentially a re-writable version of DVD-R. DVD+R's sister format is called DVD+RW.

DVD-R discs can be read with virtually any PC DVD-ROM drive and with most of the regular, stand-alone DVD players."

My preference is DVD-R, but it's just my preference.