1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

+/- r disks

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ry004, Feb 29, 2004.

1. ry004

ry004 Member

what is best for backing up dvds to play on dvd players and pc's + or - R. it thought is was suppose to be - but the once i have + seems to work better on dvd players.

2. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

This seems to be a ongoing debate. -R's seem to be compatible with more DVD players in my experience, but I have heard that - is more compatible and I have also heard that + is more compatible. I know that many of the newer DVD players can play either format and I think that almost every Sony DVD player can play either format. Another thing that you may want to try is the burn speed b/c I know for PS2's the burn speed is a major factor for recognizing the backup DVD's. Hope this helps.

3. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

yeah +rs are compatable with 85% of the dvd drives out there

-rs are compatable with 90% of the drives out there

some recon that the +r way has the edge on quality

but if I were to choose -r every time because there is still a significant difference in price ......

but +rs have come down alot in a year

just remember to get a dual burner

4. videot40

videot40 Guest

I had to send out over 200 DVDs recently and I kept track of the returns on -R or +R.. I used HPDVD300i +R and pioneer A04 for the -R. I sent out 100 of each and sat back to see how many problems I would have. 50 of the DVD-R medias were Samsung BeAll brand and none of them were returned. I had also sent out 50 Maxell type -R DVD and 5 of them came back with playback problems. As for the Ricoh style HP model +R, only 2 of them caused playback problems on the customer's DVD players. I used Verbatim +R.. My conclusion is that the type of media used is the most important factor.

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

videot40 yeah your exactly right you get what you pay for better paying a bit more it ='s less coasters