1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

- R Dual Layer support

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by LionelS, Mar 3, 2005.

1. LionelS

LionelS Member

Have I missed something here? I recently read in the Afterdawn newsletter that Nero now supports Dual Layer -R. Quote: DVD-R DL recording allows the user to store up to 8.5Gbytes of data or up to 8 hours of DVD video on one side of the disc. “Next-generation DVD recording technology is here, and Nero has already provided users with the tools to operate it,” said Jim Corbett, Executive Director of Nero AG. “Dual-layer recording has raised DVD recording technology to new levels, and gives users access to a new and exciting format that was previously available only to professionals.”

How is this different to the current + R dual layer? Why wasn't - R supported first as - R seems to support nearly all dvd players. I haven't seen any -R dual layer media yet. When can we expect to see dual layer RW discs?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

nero just announced -R DL because they just came out. +R DL have been out for a while now. They only difference is the same difference between + and - DVDs. IDK why -R DLs took longer to come out, maybe they were more diffictult to develop.

3. LionelS

LionelS Member

Ok thanks for the info. I would be interested to hear feedback from those that use it to see if it is better than + R DL in compatibility and use. I wonder if it will fix the layer pause problem some people experience with the + R DL {refer to posts under Double Layer (DVD+R DL)Media}

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, I just use regular -R, haven't gotten into the DL yet. I'll wait a little bit for the bugs to get sorted out and the prices to drop.