1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-R or +R ???? FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE !!! Can Someone PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Angii, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Angii

Angii Member

Ok, here is the situation, and believe me i have read almost every thread here in hopes that i can figure this out. i think i understand the battle of -r and +r, but my problem lies somewhere between that i think.
    Ok, here we go...
    i have a pioneer dvr-225,(got it for free because of an old warrantied dvd player broke down, gotta love best buy's extended warranty) anyway, i was totally excited about getting a "burner" for all my tivo shows. i have spent about the last 3 days emptying my tivo, testing them, but like an ass i just tested them on the pioneer itself, when the recorded dvd would play i would then delete the tivo show...bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad!!!! i just tried to play one of those newly burnt shows here on my pc and NO it hated it, my pc would not even recognize that there was an dvd in it. now some of you are laughing at me, some of you are saying well at least it plays in yer dvd thingy, well it plays where it was made, but on further tests it does not play in any of the other 3 players in our house. and the oldest of these players is 2years.
    when i frist put a dvd into the player it was a blank dvd+r and it said..."can't use" on its wee little screen, of course at this time i had no idea to even look for -r or +r whatever, i just learnt that here a min ago. anyway, i got 3 different spindles of blank dvd's this x-mas so i opened a new bundle which just happened to be -r's. and they worked. so i began recording in glee, things were so awesome, and then you know what happened.
    i do a lot of work in my office on my computer or at my table, i watch tv on my pc and movies as well, i guess my pc is my media center you could say, LOL i even have windows XP media edition, and a friggin' remote now to, so ya its my media center. i really want to bring my tivo collection in here, but have not a clue how to do that...
    1.how come my player plays dvd+r's and can't record on tem?
    2.how can my computer not read a dvd-r?
    3.is there a player/recorder out there that supports both of these types?
    4.is it even a -r +r situation here, or is it deeper like ntsc-vs-pal or whatever?
    5.is it better to just burn dvd's from your pc?

Thanks in Advance for any advice you can send my way, THNAK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Angie--1.how come my player plays dvd+r's and can't record on tem?
    2.how can my computer not read a dvd-r?
    3.is there a player/recorder out there that supports both of these types?
    4.is it even a -r +r situation here, or is it deeper like ntsc-vs-pal or whatever?
    5.is it better to just burn dvd's from your pc?
    Angie--I did a quick google search on your new player--says that it supports DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-Rom--NOT DVD+R--therefore I think your problem is that your computer may only burn (+) type--What are your computer specs--I know that my HP Pavilion only burns the (+) type and will not even read the (-) type--There are however many stand-alone DVD players and recorders that can handle both formats--Maybe Best Buy would exchange?So--Get back to us with the info regarding computer specs and DVD supported type--Most newer stand-alone players will play both types--I know this isn't much help, with the proper info I asked for maybe someone else could help you further--Good luck!

3. Angii

Angii Member

Thanx Whitfield !!
    ya i am assuing the same thing, i am only a bit confused because the pioneer played a disc i burnt off of my pc onto a dvd+r ??? LOL anyway i am looking into my pc's dvd writer right now, i have a dell 8400 loaded to the nuts, it was a promotional "media center" pc, i love all it has to offer, especially the tv tuner to watch tv, but i am just leaching off the cable connection for my internet, and i get 100 or so common cable channels, or i would just burn my shows off of here, but all my shows are on HBO so thats a big no go....but it is all good, i had no idea that cable internet culd also carry cable tv in to our home....