1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

+R or -R ?!?!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by TheGios, Nov 21, 2004.

1. TheGios

TheGios Member

What's better for movies: DVD+R or DVD-R?
    I'm so confused...

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Which ever one your player will play ... Older players seem to like -R while the newer don't seem to care ...

3. TheGios

TheGios Member

my 4 year old player likes any +R or -R recorded at 4X but cannot read TDK +R recorded at 8X

4. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

The structure of DVD+R is supposed to be better for re-linking after a buffer under-run, so theoretically, this would be better for movies. Mind you, if you're getting frequent under-runs you should really be looking at your hardware, not the media.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Truth be told there really isn't much of a difference in - or + R's. They both produce the same quality DVD. What you should really be looking for is the brand of media and the type that will play in all your machines. The main difference in the two is Pioneer owns -R's and Sony & HP own the right's to +R's. What does that mean exactly I'm not sure? Most players you buy now day's will play either fine so it comes down to preference. People will say the -R's are more compatable with older DVD Players maybe this is true I'm not sure. I have a 8 year old DVD player that plays both just fine even though it's not supposed to? So just try one of each and decide for yourself is the best advise I could give you. Myself I use TaiyoYuden -R's and they work flawless for me. So just find what works best for you and stick with it...
    :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  6. Hellstorm

Hellstorm Member

I just recently started to practice doing some movie back-ups with Memorex DVD+RW discs. The back-up discs play fine on the PC that I created them on, but they will NOT work on my HP Pavilion N5150 notebook.

I also tried one of the back-up discs on my Gateway notebook PC at work and it didn't work either.

I get the following error:
    ---------------------------
    Disk is not formatted
    Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.
    OK

However, the discs play perfectly on my DVD enabled Xbox console.

I wonder if I need to try DVD-RW discs or maybe I need a firmware update on my notebook PC?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hellstorem,
    Make sure the DVD players you are putting these +RW's in are supported for that drive. I do not believe that the +RW's will work in your HP pavilion Notebook? Is that the one that has an x24 CD burner/x8 DVD reader? If so I am about 99% sure it wont read +RW's.

V/R,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  8. Hellstorm

Hellstorm Member

This is what I found in device manager.

Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8175

I don't know what speed it is but I know
    that it is a DVD player only.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This link is all I could find on that drive http://www.netcomdirect.com/pansr8xidesl.html
    I am not sure if that is the exact drive but it says in only supports DVD-R not any kind of RW. Your notebook should have came with some manuals that will tell you what will play in your drive?

[​IMG]

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

11. Hellstorm

Hellstorm Member

BBMayo,
    Thank you so much for your help.
    I bought this laptop Used from a friend & I can't remember if she gave me the manuals for it.

But I will go out tomorrow and pick up some
    DVD-R & DVD-RW discs and try those.

12. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

Firmware updates for the DVD drives may help with that problem. You may have to search with the manufacturer of the drive and not with HP or Gateway