1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-R picture break up with 4 different brands

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HeeHawBoz, Jun 14, 2003.

1. HeeHawBoz

HeeHawBoz Member

Hello all,

After struggling with a +R drive for months and eventually getting the process spot on, I consider myself battle-hardened as far as +Rs are concerned, but I need a bit of advice from those in the know with -Rs, please.

Okay, my machine is a Pentium 2.4 on an Intel board, running WinXP. I replaced the Phillips 228 +R with an LG 4020B -R writer, so the PC still has all the same software and the latest Adaptec ASPI drivers.

My -Rs spin up perfectly in every player and drive I put them in, but towards the end of the film the picture breaks up and gradually gets worse and worse. When I use DVDdecrypter to test them I get i/o errors in the last two or three files with every DVD drive, except for the LG I burned them in.

I read through this forum and I know the gut response is "bad media", but I have tried 4 different brands, two of which were Riteks. Could I really be that unlucky?

When I was burning +Rs I couldn't find a brand that DIDN'T work perfectly every time. I even took the drive back and got another one because I was convinced the laser was weakening as the burn went on, but the replacement is the same.

So, sorry for the length, but I want all the facts in for a good discussion.

I AM going to try some more brands, don't worry about that, but could it be something else?
    The PC is the same.
    My drives and players play ritek -Rs perfectly, because I had some already.
    Could it be ASPI drivers or something? Is there a recommended ASPI layer for -Rs?

Any ideas, please?

2. HeeHawBoz

HeeHawBoz Member

I should maybe have said, I've burned about 12 discs in total, using 4 different brands in combination with Nero 5 5 10 35 and RecordNow Max.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

From what you stated, im thinking more along the lines of a possible DVD Writer problem. Unless you are compressing the files and the compression tool you are using is corrupt. Go through the process of elimination by changing each software package used until you get a successful burn. Do test burning with Nero so you dont waste any more DVD's

4. HeeHawBoz

HeeHawBoz Member

Thanks for that. Do you mean a compatibility problem with LG drives in general, since I've already swapped for a replacement drive?

I'm sure it's not the compression software, though because it's all the same apps that were on before I took the Phillips 228 out of that PC.

Plus I have two PCs on a network. So to make sure, I sent the very same VOB files over the LAN and burned them in the Phillips in the other machine. The burn was perfect.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, i didnt mean with the LG drives, im not sure about that, but it could be the problem. Download CD Speed and use it to check the media you are using.

My advice is always to buy Pioneer