1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-R VS +R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by taztaz31, Dec 21, 2004.

1. taztaz31

taztaz31 Member

I was told that there is a difrence between the dye used on a -r and a +r. Is this true. I have always used -r with no problem and was told that they do not lst a ng because the dye is not as good as the +r.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

yo taz, usually there is not overall difference between the + and -, That is mainly a compatability issue for the stand alone playability. Rule of thumb, older players -, newer players +.The quality level,some here at AD are saying the + format is far better than the -. I have seen no difference in quality as I burn in both formats. I like to try out different media.I know by experience that the same identical packages of discs can vary by manufacturer,take as example: Maxell +4 = They are coded ricohjpn. The Maxell -4 = mxlrg02. Teon +8x =ricohjpn / teon -8x = cmagnetics. Quite a bit of quality differences between identical packaging,but different format. Heck even the different amount on a spindle or 10 pack can be the same way. Different manufacturers for the same brand name.The high quality discs are holding up longer than the cheap ones.There are members here who can prove that.Lower quality dyes suck.Plus the low quality media really shows up in the stand alone players like:skipping,freezing,pixellating and some just won't do anything when you insert you backup..There is high quality media for the -. This is just my opinion