1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R4 Help!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by trash_can, Sep 22, 2007.

1. trash_can

trash_can Member

i just got my R4 and memory card but i can't get it to work. I downloaded the kernel thingy then i transfered it to my sd card together with my games. I tried to play the games on my ds lite but there is an error message in chinese. So what should i do? Can someone give me a step by step help on how to get it to work?

Sorry i'm a bit of a tech idiot.

2. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

well make sure ur memory card isnt SDHC first. and make sure its formatted correctly to fat32 or fat.

3. nikhilr51

nikhilr51 Member

as dragnandy said make sure i's not a HC card, the 4gb ones are usually HC. As for the chiniese error make sure you download the english kernal (R4 v1.11 kernel (English))software from
    http://r4ds.com/download-en.htm
    This is from the r4 manual at http://r4ds.com/product-en.htm#a3
    1) Hardware Installation

Connect the TF card to PC with the card reader, then, go to the "/SYSTEM" directory on the disk.
    A- Loading the game kernel: Copy the "_DS_MENU.DAT" at the directory of the simplified game kernel/ traditional game kernel to the root directory of TF card.

B- Loading the media kernel: Copy the "moonshl" folder and the "_DS_MSHL.NDS" file at the "moonshell" directory to the root directory of TF card;

C- Load the DIY interface: Copy all the folders "_system_" to the root directory of the TF card.

in other words copy everything from the .rar file to the fat32 or 16 formatted card. make sure you dont put the files into a folder. just dump them on the card.
    Your games can go in the root of the card or can be put into a seperate 'Game' folder.

4. trash_can

trash_can Member

i downloaded the english kernel from the website u gave me and it gave me error in chinese. I got so angry i donwloaded the simplified chinese kernel and it worked. Luckily i could read chinese. because i think something is wrong with that english kernel or something is wrong with my ds lite and r4 + memory card

5. nikhilr51

nikhilr51 Member

ok, no offence but does that solve your problem?
    if not try turning off the soft reset function. i think you do that by touching a little icon with the letter 'R' on the top right corner of the touch screen. i dont have and r4(getting it tomorrow) so i cant test this.

6. nikhilr51

nikhilr51 Member

a really plain way tha might do something is to download an older version of the kernal like 1.10 from http://www.r4ds.com/soft/16-en.htm (thats the english version)

7. trash_can

trash_can Member

i tried to download the older versions but i keep getting an error in chinese when i transfer all the files into my sd card

8. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

im not sure because i dont have a chinese version, but maybe u bought the chinese version of the r4 flashcard itself, not the firmware? im not sure if thats why though, just a thought.

9. nikhilr51

nikhilr51 Member

mmmm... interesting problem to tell the truth i dont know what your problem is. it's proberly a hardware related problem.(The R4 card or SD card)

Sorry about that. Maybe you should try returning the card.