1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R4 loading problem...**Email posting and Banned**

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Malekmark, May 12, 2008.

1. Malekmark

Malekmark Member

Hey guys, first of all ive searched the forum but i havent quite found exactly the same error im getting so here goes:

I have a r4 and a 2gig kingston

I got the r4 a week ago, put like 6 games in it and didnt have a problem with the first 2-3 games.

I then tried to play a new game and while it was loading, it got stuck (black screen) so i chose to reset the ds.
    After resetting, it gets stuck at the start when it has the black screen with the white loading letters.

This has happend a couple of times now and ive come to understand that it isnt some rom in particular as the problem occurs on different roms randomly that might have worked previously.

I put the files on the micro card in the right order and have also made a extra folder to put the games in called Games, but still get the same black screen after a while after starting one of the new roms.

The only way to slove this is to format the micro card as its unreadable when i connect it to the pc again. This sucks as i always lose my saved games.

Anyone have any idea on what this is?

2. woof811

woof811 Regular member

could be a faulty memory card mate , as you say when it stuffs up its unreadable in the pc .

also what firmware version of r4ds are you putting on the memory card , latest is v1.18 and you can get it here - English version ! http://www.r4ds.com/soft/24-en.htm

try using the new firmware with the memory card your having trouble with .

if that dont work have you got any other memory card you could try and see if it works ?

let me know how you get on mate , woof811.

ps. also when i format my memory card for the r4ds i normally use fat (fat 16) , it was just a thought .

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. Malekmark

Malekmark Member

Hey mate thanks for the quick reply.

I tried d/ling as you said the new drivers, but with those i get from the start stuck at the black loading sceen.

Also at the 1.18 version the _AX_MENU file is missing. Tried without it and with the older version of that file but still the same result.

When i try to format, it only has FAT32 and FAT as options. Is FAT supposed to be FAT16? Btw ive tried that one too.

So does this mean i have a faulty micro card?
    Dont have another one to test it, will try to go tomorrow and buy a new one if its sold at stores

4. woof811

woof811 Regular member

hmmmmmm not sure what the _AX_MENU file is mate .

when you have downloaded the new firmware and unrared it , all you copy to your memory card is the 2 folders and 2 files .

2 folders - _system_ and moonshl .

2 files - _DS_MENU and _MSHL.NDS .

is that the files and folders you are copying to your memory card ?

and also yes fat is fat16 mate .

is the _AX_MENU file just a file on its own and not in a folder ?

even so just delete it because i wouldnt bother with it as i dont know what its for and would just copy the 2 folders and 2 files i mentioned to your memory card

me again - just had a look on google for the _AX_MENU file and it would seem its for the N5DS flashcart so you dont need it !

ps. the r4ds and the n5ds are both here at the top of this page - http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.604

it is the r4ds you have and not the n5ds ? , just because some online sellers sell the n5ds as a r4ds , see this link - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/646302

5. Malekmark

Malekmark Member

No i have a r4 card, on the card is says:

R4

Revolution for DS
    (NDSL/NDS)

Thanks for the info about the other file, i wont use it then.
    But still i get the loading error from start when i use the 1.18.
    Only when i use the files that were given in the cd it runs for a while.

Should i get a new micro card? Might the problem be elsewere?

Thanks again for all your help mate

EDIT:
    hmm now that i read the links you gave me, it didnt come with a full r4 box/package and the supossedly r4 card uses a spring.
    So guess i got scammed in having a n5?

Might this be the reason im having these problems?

6. woof811

woof811 Regular member

it could be you have been scammed and its the n5ds that you have , if so try downloading the latest firmware here mate - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2365

right mate format the memory card once again so its nice and clean (FAT)

once downloaded unrar it and copy the 2 folders and 3 files to your memory card .

2 folders - _system_ and mooshl

3 files - _AX_MENU , _DS_MENU and _DS_MSHL.NDS

and give that a try ! let me know how you get on , woof811.

7. Malekmark

Malekmark Member

Just now got back home, thanks alot for finding the new framware for me.
    Ill try them now and get back to you.

But even if it works i think its still a scam and i should try to get my money back. It's not like i gave less money for the n5, i payed it as if it was a r4

8. novemberfox

novemberfox Member

I had the same problem. The R4DS was getting stuck on the loading screen. I tried the 2Gb card in another R4DS and it worked fine. Thinking I might have a re-badged N5DS, I pasted the N5DS firmware onto the 2Gb card along with the R4DS firmware. Now the card works ok and I expected an N5 interface to start-up but the R4 interface is instead. Weird

9. pandastar

pandastar Member

Thanks alot for this info
    I too was sold a fake and now it works like a charm. ^^

*and i was going to buy a whole new sd too >.>* grrrr

10. MalBow

MalBow Member

HI can anyone help me with a R4 problem, im getting the same problem, it hangs when you first switch the DS on with a black screen and loading written across the screen. I have tried different versions of the R4 software and copied the 2 files and 2 folders to the Micro SD card, i have also tried the N5 files after reading your posts above but i still have the same problem.
    Any ideas?
    I dont have another Micro Sd card to try the one i have is a San Disk 4Gb is that compatible?

any help appreciated!

11. sarmy

sarmy Member

hi, i got scammed and have the n5, thx to woof i now know that! i have followed links and downloaded the right things, the card now comes up on the screen with game, multimedia and bootslot 2 icons. v1.18

can you pls tell me how to put games on and where to get them? im begging here! the card was a gift(i have 2 one for each kid!, both bought from same retailer and filled with games for us)
    and my kids got to play them for about a week before they both stopped working and stuck on loading screen.

im totally clueless here, stoked im winning tho and dont want to muck it up by doing the wrong thing.

12. woof811

woof811 Regular member

hello unfortunatly im not allowed to tell you where to get nds roms from but google is your friend mate .

once you find where you get the nds roms from , simply download them and unrar them .

you will then have games as .nds files , all you do is copy the .nds games to your memory card , as simple as that mate .

woof811.

13. sarmy

sarmy Member

thanks!

14. deBruits

deBruits Member

Hi there, I am having the same problem AND since I do have 2 different microSD cards I can say my (and probably this) problem has nothing to do with the R4 cartridge!

In fact I have 2 R4 cards to try out and they both give the same result. The 1Gig Kingston MicroSD no problem (using this for over a year already) and the new 4Gig Scandisk MicroSD only shows the 'loading' screen.

I have tried all the suggestions above (and elsewhere) but nothing works. It seems to me the R4 is not compatible with the 4Gig Scandisk MicroSD.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions? Wanted to take a load of games on vacation......upgrading from 1 to 4 Gig. Is there anyone who got a 4Gig Card working on a R4?

UPDATE!!!
    Just read on on the forum and found this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/584303

It says somewhere the R4 does not support SDHC cards (the 4GB Scandisk is a SDHC card). It is an old thread so I am not sure if that is still the case. That would be a waste and shame of money and pleasure though. I will check on r4ds.com we'll see.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  15. woof811

woof811 Regular member

the r4 does not work with sdhc memory cards mate . the biggest it will accept is 2gb memory cards .

woof811.

there are however lots of new flashcarts that use sdhc memory m3ds real , edge ds , dstt , acekard , itouch ds etc..............

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  16. sarmy

sarmy Member

woof811, im having trouble here and have wasted way too much time getting nowhere, am sleep deprived and hunched over in the most uncomfortable way from sitting at this darn computer! will you help me please, can i PM you?

17. 1TruADP

1TruADP Member

I have the same problem. It works for awhile then randomly it will get stuck at the loading screen, which means I have to reformat the sd and lose everything. It got to a point where now I have a backup folder so when I have to reformat it (its inevitable) I just have to drag my backup folder to the memory stick and start over. But its happening more and more frequently. I have a kingston 2GB micro sd and my r4 is updated. My computer reads it just fine so i dont think its the sd and whenever I reformat it uses fat32. If anyone has any ideas please help.

18. pandastar

pandastar Member

After my experience with the R4...
    and probably everyone here having the same problem...

Just go with an M3.

R4 sux

19. demonG

demonG Member

Hi, i got my R4 today and iv installed all the software but i get the black screen woth "loading...." on it. iv tryed every thing people have said on this thread, is there any thing else i can do please help me out, iv been at it for 2hours now.

20. sarmy

sarmy Member

this is what helped fix my black loading screen problem.

good luck, some great people on here with some great advice