1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R4DS Basic Guide (Complexity: Easy)

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by pryme_H, Feb 11, 2008.

1. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

To help alleviate countless recurring posts about the R4DS (Revolution for DS), I've humbly developed this guide. This a pretty basic guide on how to set up the R4DS flash cart. If you have questions concerning this guide, please post them on this thread. For queries outside its boundaries, there is a very extensive FAQs here.

Below is an out-of-the-box illustration of the R4 including its functionalities.

[​IMG]
    FUNCTIONALITIES

2nd generation storage device (no booting tool required)
    -Flush fitting slot 1 card
    -Uses MicroSD card, FAT16 or 32
    -Supports any MicroSD card speed with no lag in game
    -Supports Clean ROM, drag and drop. Works on any OS
    -Built in NoPass
    -Automatically detect save type
    -Save directly to MicroSD card, not to onboard chip
    -Supports Moonshell and other homebrew. Open I/O interface
    -User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation
    -Supports rumble pak and memory pak
    -Supports the WiFi game, DS Rumble Pak, DS Browser
    -Supports changes of the background of Operation Interface
    - Support Skin DIY by setting background and font colors on Main Menu and Game Menu manually and automatically
    -Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment ( DS Lite only )
    -Supports the Soft Reset.
    -Supports Action Replay cheat
    -moonshell 1.6 support Software Reset function( Press START key back to the R4 menu)
    -DLDI auto-patching
    -Full download play support

~(Picture and functionalities are excerpted from http://www.r4ds.com)

COMPATIBLE MICRO-SD CARDS

It uses a micro-SD card to store both the ROMs and the save files. Please, keep in mind that the R4 is incompatible with SDHC--memory cards greater than 2GB. When deciding what brand of memory cards to use, Sandisk and Kingston have been established to be the most reliable.

[​IMG]

GAME SAVES

Corresponding game saves are automatically created in the memory card in the set size of 512KB when a ROM is run.

[​IMG]

INSTALLING/UPDATING FIRMWARE

The CD included in the package contains, perhaps, the outdated firmware. It is imperative that you recurrently update your version to put up with old and recently released ROMs. To download latest firmware, go to the website aformentioned (http://www.r4ds.com). Once, download is complete, you will see a folder similar to the one shown below.

[​IMG]

Now, double-click on the folder. In this folder, the firmware files are contained.

[​IMG]

Next, go to My Computer and find the root directory of your micro-SD card. This is the letter assigned to your memory card when it's hooked up in the USB port of your PC using the adapter. In this case, mine is (L:).
    [​IMG]

Subsequently, double click on it to give you more room to work with.

Select all four files by holding down to either the Shift or Ctrl key on your keyboard. When all files are highlighted, click on any one file and drag and drop them to the root directory of your micro-SD card.

[​IMG]

When prompted if you want to overwrite existing files, just click Yes to All.

[​IMG]

Well done! You have now successfully loaded/upgraded your R4DS firmware.

*IMPORTANT FOOTNOTE: If you are trying to patch a Japanese or Chinese firmware, please visit the thread here. Thanks very much to snorlax for providing the link and mr. hanky for his resourcefulness in finding the required patch.

ADDING ROMs

You can now start browsing the internet for plethora of ROMs available for download. To aid you in this, you will need an archiving tool. I recommend using 7-Zip as it's a freeware. Again, loading games to your Micro-SD card is as simple as "dragging and dropping".

[​IMG]

Safely remove your micro-SD card from your computer. Insert it to the R4 cart, and then place it in the top slot of your NDS. Turn the power on. At the main screen you will see three icons. Touch the first icon, and you will be sent to main directory where you see the folder you created that will hold all your games. Press A. You should now see the game that you've just added. Just cycle through the process if you want to add more games. Enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

Fix the spelling (with- wit), add a section about dragging and dropping .nds files and making/using directory structures, mention the creation of .sav files when the .nds's are run, and put a little more step by step hand holding in here and you'll have something to which we can refer half the questions in the forum.

3. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Thanks for the feedback. I fixed the typo error. I'm going to try to append to it ,and include those areas you mentioned. Again, thank you.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Yes nice one pryme_H
    One of your pics isn't showing though - might want to fix that.
    With a few of snorlax22 implemented in the guide probably most the threads about R4 here could be closed :)

5. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Thanks Binkie! I was in the midst of editing the thread which explains why one of the pics isn't showing. Hopefully, this will serve its purpose--to help our not so computer-savvy friends here in aD. Please help me scrub it by continuously providing feedbacks. :)

6. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

I've already reffered one person here!

Would it be worth putting in something about the whole chinese vs english card thing? I know that several people have had trouble with that and I think there was a pretty straightforward way to fix it. Nineut I think had a thread on it.

Yes I realize it may be a more "advanced" topic on one level but it is pretty basic to getting the card up and running if you are starting from scratch and have the wrong stuff.

7. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Could you provide me the thread about this? Thanks!

8. micl1

micl1 Guest

Am new to this so a couple of questions. Does the r4ds come with a microsd card? and is it as easy as the guide says to getting games to play on the ds or have there been other problems?

9. Kdawgzz

Kdawgzz Member

Awesome post thanks for putting in the work to create it.

I have a question, Can I back up my current NDS Cartridges with their current saved game data so that I can load them all on to one cart instead of carrying all the carts around with me.

Example: I would like to load my Zelda Phantom Hourglass where I am near the end of the game, instead of starting all over from a new ROM.

10. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

@ micl1,

There are some hot package deals out there where the micro-SD card is included with a purchase of the R4DS. Playing games is really that uncomplicated. The guide vividly mirrors that. ;)

@ Kdawgzz,

To avoid confusion, you want to backup your retail game saves so you can use them on the R4, correct? I've personally never tried it, as I don't own a retail cartridge. You can, however, seem through this guide.

11. micl1

micl1 Guest

Thanks pryme H I'll go lookig for some packages.I'd been told there was a load of different sh*t to be done before you could play a game, I should have come here first. Have to say the guide is absolutely brilliant, even for a newbie like me everything make perfect sense
    Thanks again

12. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Not a problem! If you get stumped along the way, post your question here...

13. tripplite

tripplite Guest

very very nice this will answer many a noob question!

14. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

edited - violates forum rules

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  15. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@itachi64
    No links to those referral/free console etc sites. Even if you do think they are legit - still not allowed.

16. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

ight srry

17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

sometimes my games will appear and other times no items will be listed??
    its just annoying really and i dont seem to have any read problems with my ds games only my R4? any suggestions?

18. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

You'e not implying they're disappearing completely are you? My only hunch is probably the way the micro-SD card makes contact with the R4. Make sure it fits snugly.

19. pacman999

pacman999 Member

can you still add your own themes to the 1.16 version of the r4? If so how????

20. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008