1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R5 region movie images cause stutter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Linnear, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Linnear

Linnear Member

Whenever I burn a movie image that is an R5 image, I have problems with the playback...it stutters and stops etc. I usually repack my video files with DVD2One and then burn the resulting video_ts with Nero, as this tends to reduce the amount of compatibility issues on different types of players I have (cheapo Walmart ones, as well as Sony players). Just wondering if there is anybody else who has had this type of issue and if there is a fix/work around for it.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Aren't R5 releases bootlegs for the most part without any enhanced DVD encoding techniques applied? They used to be direct from film to disk and have the same quality as screeners.

3. Linnear

Linnear Member

R5 is a region code and as far as being any less video quality...it seems to be the same.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

Pixelations, freezing, skipping, stutering..... all due mostly to bad media used! Use the MIJ media or just buy Verbatim made in Singapore/Taiwan and you can't go wrong!

5. Linnear

Linnear Member

Thanks for the tips, will look into making sure to try and lower the file size. I use Verbatim DVD+R's now almost exclusively, but also have their -R's as well. The book type is set in Nero to DVD-ROM. I usually burn my +R's which are rated for 16x (but actually show up on Nero as 18x)at 12x. Again never a problem other than stated in the thread here.

Note about the book type setting: In the burn/event log of Nero, only when I use DVD+R's do I get a line in the burn log that states the book type setting:DVD-ROM. If use the -R's, there is no mention of the book type setting in the burn log. It is set to do so in the options tho. It maybe still does set the book type for the -R's...just don't see that log entry...curious thing.

As for manuals, will have to search online, manuals long lost for the dvd players in the house!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you can only booktype to +R media only! the area where you write to for booktyping on blank media is already written to on the -R media so you can't booktype -R media.... only +R media where there is a blank space there to write to!

what make and model # is your burner?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  7. Linnear

Linnear Member

Ahh, so that would explain it...lol. Wonder what setting a DVD-R is then? They seem to play alright for the most part too...

I have two LG GSA H22N

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

where are you getting Region 5 disks? are you in the USA or in Africa, India,or Russia?

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

10. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

R5 disks would also be in PAL format I would think. Is that the usual format for your DVDs and players?

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

even if it's in PAL format you can easily convert it using Nero or ConvertXToDVD! that should take care of the region code, too. If you convert to NTSC then it should take care of the region code!

12. Linnear

Linnear Member

Thanks for the info laddyboy...that prolly does explain alot then of why the R5's are causing me hassles...

13. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

yes most likley the r5s are from the net most likley torrents, dose the movie do anything out of the normal before you burn the image? if you have g-spot run the file through it before you burn the img to disk, also make sure that you read the comments about the file before you download the file, also here are the region codes R1 NTSC USA and Canada (no PAL)
    R2 NTSC Japan, Greenland
    R2 PAL Europe (inc Canary Islands), Middle East (inc Egypt), South Africa
    R3 NTSC Phillipines, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Burma, Myamar
    R3 PAL The rest of South East Asia ex mainland China, North Korea and Mongolia
    R4 NTSC Central America, Mexico, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Mariannas, Caribbean countries, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Suriman, Venezuela
    R4 PAL Australia, New Zealand, Soloman Islands, Norfolk Island, Papua New Guinea, Cook Islands
    R5 PAL Africa (ex Egypt and Canary Islands), Russian Federation, North Korea, Mongolia (no NTSC)
    Region 6 PAL China (no NTSC)
    Region 8 Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc)

14. Linnear

Linnear Member

I usually mount the image with Daemon and rip it and repack with DVD2One. I'll look into this G-spot tho...thanks.

I usually view the movie on my pc before putting on disc and they look great.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  15. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

After using DVD2One they won't look as good as they did on your PC. DVD2One is going to compress the DVDs to fit a blank disk so video info will be lost in the process. Unless you have an HDTV, the titles will look better on your PC than your TV because your PC is an HDTV and you'll get more video info displayed. The stuttering and stopping seems more like just bad burn quality. Follow IHoe's tips.