1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Shack soldering iron Question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by goatwuss, May 9, 2003.

1. goatwuss

goatwuss Guest

I'm about to install my Messiah2 chip, and I purchased the 15watt soldering iron at Radio Shack. However, it is my understanding that the tip that comes with this iron is too big. My store did not have a smaller tip. My question: Does anyone know the part # of the smaller tip, so that I can order it? I can't find it in their catalog.

Thanks,

Todd

2. psx245

psx245 Regular member

im pretty sure that it is 15.

Hope this helps

3. Omega45

Omega45 Member

Sorry, I dont think Radio shack has any that small. What I did was I sanded down my bit that came with it so that it had a sharp tip. I used sand paper, and it seems to work pretty well. I am installing tonight, so I havent tried to use it on my PS2 yet. I have just tested on some old electronics lying around. Hope that helps.

4. goatwuss

goatwuss Guest

You used sandpaper to sand down your soldering iron bit? Sandpaper to on metal? Something tells me that either wont work, or will require LOTS of sanding

5. ELI_ICE

ELI_ICE Guest

I used the electric grinder to sharpen the tits :)

6. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

The tip on the soldering iron is copper, so it is very easy to grind down. Also, I used the Radio Shack 15 watt, and the tip that came with it was fine. The 25 watt iron comes with a better tip though, and also works a lot better than the 15 watt.