1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAID Arrays

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mrcapdown, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

Hello at the moment i have to sata one hard drives in my pc both 160 GB both 8mb cache and both about the same read time but diffent makes so can thay be made so my pc thinks thay are one 320GB harddrive with 16mb cache and if so i have one of the drives full with stuff witch i dont wish to get rid of at all so can it be done with out formatting one of the drives
    thanx

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

First definitely read auslanders links. It will help you to understand raid setups. To answer your question... you could do it but it may act funny (2 different drives) and it would be less than 320gb. Also you would lose your data if not backed up.....typically.

4. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

lol will still be 8mb cache, are you wanting faster write time or fault tolerance?
    raid 0 will give you faster write time but if one fails you lose the lot (data)
    raid 1 will give you fault tolerance so if one fails you haven't lost it all just need to put another drive in
    if you 'raid' them then split them you normally lose all your data
    you shouldn't need to format just delete unneeded data after joining then run scandisk