1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM for Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by s2a, Apr 24, 2005.

1. s2a

s2a Regular member

1) What is the difference between SD-RAM and DDR-RAM?
    2) Is there any way for me to use my HDD and make a 1 GB partition or something and using it as RAM? What I'm trying to say is, is there any way of adding RAM without soldering or as much soldering because the guy that put my chip in my xbox is asking me 100$ (canadian) to give me an extra 64 MB Ram and to install it, I bassicaly want to pay around haft the price. Someone please help me!!!

2. modster

modster Regular member

why do you want to pump up the memory may I ask? My xbox works great with the meomry it has.

3. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Are you planning on using Linux? Cuz that probably is the only thing upgraded RAM is used for, to load Linux programs faster. Other than that, games and emulators won't benefit from it.

4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

The newest N64 emulator supports 128 MB ram, but even with that and Linux, it is just not worth upgrading the memory in your Xbox.

5. s2a

s2a Regular member

ur not helping..help me by givin solutions, not i dont need it comments, plz

thx

6. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

you can install more ram (So I'm told), but the benifits are almost non existant. Any way just do a search on www.askjeeves.com to find out the difference between sd ram and ddr ram. Oh also there is sd2 ram. I think thats what it was called. Might be ddr2 ram. Can't really remember, sorry. Read about it a few weeks ago somewhere.

7. punqewe

punqewe Active member

even if you upgrade the RAM,some games and apps still have a 64meg flag...which means that they are set by default to use only 64 meg of RAM. There are some de-flagers,but I don't know what the reliablity rate is onthese...so you might be doing alot for nuthin.

8. VinylPshr

VinylPshr Member

s2a:

To FULLY answer your question (unlike every other post).

1) ...

SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory) is the type used in PC's up to and including Pentium 3 / AMDK6-3 (roughly speaking, there is the odd exception).

SDRAM ran at speeds of 100 or 133MHz as standard which by today's standards is obviously very slow. 100/133MHz also used to be the speed of the FSB (Front Side Bus) which is what linked the CPU to everything else in the computer. Because the RAM was running at the same speed, it was called Synchronous.

DDR = Double Data Rate. Very simply, DDR RAM was attached to the computer much like SDRAM, with a speed of 100 or 133MHz. However, the speed was effectively doubled due to the new technology employed. Today, you can get DDR RAM rated to perform at 200MHz or even more (400MHz effective). Other enhancements include 'dual banking' which enables the use of 2 separate memory modules to act as one, further increasing data transfer speed.

2)

No. You have perhaps a slight misunderstanding based on a little knowledge of the way Windows works. Windows uses part of your HD as a storage area when your available RAM is low (it is more complex than that, but the point is valid). Considering every program you use runs ON Windows, these programs do not have to be specially aware of the the fact that they may actually be using your HD rather than main RAM at any given moment.

The Xbox OS is quite simplistic. It has only what it needs to run games. This means that 'virtual RAM' is not available at all. There's nothing stopping someone writing into their software a similar sort of function, but there's no way to encourage all your existing games/applications to use your HD as RAM.