1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mightyed8, Aug 6, 2007.

1. mightyed8

mightyed8 Member

ok this is gonna make me sound really newbish but anyway, in the windows task manager the PF usage is the amount of RAM i am currently using right?

either way i have a problem and wasnt sure if its faulty Ram or not. My problem is that about once a day i have to restart my computer because i get a little icon saying my virtual memmory is runnning low, or something like that, and so i go and see what i am running that is taking up so much memory but nothing happens and under the performance tab of the task manager it says PF usage is at like 1.5 GB. My problem is that it starts at about 233 MB and over a couple of hours it just slowly creeps up into about 1.5 GB and it would keep going but i usually restart my computer by then.

Now i personally don't think it is a virus or anything because i have AVG and i also ran Spybot :Search and destroy and also i got adaware to see and all both of them found were just cookies that were bad. so i am wondering is maybe my RAM going bad or is it a virus or spyware problem?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not entirely, but it gives you a rough idea.

Nah, your memory is being used, it isn't faulty. have a look at all the processes in the list, is there any one in particular that's using a lot?

3. mightyed8

mightyed8 Member

um not really the top three are explorer.exe with 36,632 K then ZuneNss.exe with 32,532K and Firefox with 28,416K and i only have 35 processes running which is what i used to have before i had this problem and thanks for a quick reply

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you tried to see what happens if you end firefox.exe?

5. mightyed8

mightyed8 Member

yeah the memory will still gradually keep going up, i have just let my computer on right from startup and it still kept going up and all the programs i have at startup have been being used for a while before this problem and i haven't installed any new updates of them

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The problem is known as a memory leak, where a program keeps acquiring memory rather than leaving what it's computed in a certain space. It's usually caused by a certain process. Try ending all of the processes under your name, rather than SYSTEM or NETWORK SERVICE, and see if any of them solve it.

7. mightyed8

mightyed8 Member

WOW THANK YOU, it was a microsoft program for my Mouse it instantly went from 750 MB down to 385 MB... thank you, you have truly been a help and nice enough to clarify this with me

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's ok, perhaps try updating your mouse drivers so you can get that program back without that problem occurring. Is it intellipoint?

9. mightyed8

mightyed8 Member

yeah it was ipoint.exe and the only thing that it really did was give me the special features of the mouse which i could deal without till i have time to go through Microsofts site to find the drivers

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough.