1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ram if more better??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by andmerr, Mar 27, 2005.

1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Just considering buying a new motherboard and was wondering what kind of improvements will more ram make TO encoding and rendering.The board i was looking at has the capability of holding at least 4gig.

Comments appreciated

2. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

Hey, wow! a motherboard that can support 4 gigs!! Ok, ... ram will speed up your encoding and stuff a bit, .. but buying a fast processor will do more to speed up your computer. By the way, do you know any cheap online computer stores besides newegg? I am looking for a 128mb video card. Thanks
    -Pat (redhatman)

3. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

First to andmerr- incase you still odnt quite understand.. RAM is the memory used for opening stuff and so on.. So often time if you may have noticed if you open a bunch of prgrams, it lags alot, thats because there isnt a enough memory (RAM) to open it all at once.. so the more the better..

Second to redhatman- www.zipzoomfly.com and www.xpcgear.com are some of my favorites, with good prices.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how much ram are you running now??

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Current board :

K7 trition series
    supports AMD Athlon XPprocessor
    chip set: AMD 2600+
    RAM: 1024 DDR

Looking to upgrade to a new 64bit board, with the hyper threading functions ,with 4 slots of ram.Each slot able to handle 1 gig.(probably with a 3800 chip set)

Unsure what to buy.
    Any suggestions appreciated :

nb: would have to support AGP as my existing graphics card is a nvidia 6600

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member