1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM or HD issue?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by isjka, Mar 19, 2004.

1. isjka

isjka Member

Hi,

#1 I've recently been making backups using DVD Copy Xpress on my Dell P4 2300s with 512 MB of RAM with a 20GB hard drive. I also have a 250GB external hard drive connected via USB. When I attempted to change the default path from C to E (external drive) during the copy phase, the software estimated it would take over an hour. I cancelled out.

#2 After I make a successful copy keeping the default C path my PC frezzes for about 2 minutes or so.

Questions:

1. Does it make sense to change the default C path to E if I connect via external Firewire and not USB? I believe that my PC may be USB 1.0. Will that decrease the time? I'd like to get good use from the 250GB drive.

2. If I keep the current path to C, will I not get froze up if I put in a 160GB internal drive and remove the 20GB. I only can fit one in. I believe I have approx. 11 or so GB out of the 20 left.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  2. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

when u burn the movies and everything you should prolly do it on the internal drive because it is faster and quicker search time on it. also if you have a virus scan open close it while burning.
    so to answer your questions, internal drive will be faster then the external.
    also changed the hard drive to a bigger one wouldnt really matter, unless u running out of space(or if it spins faster), and u might wanna check again if u have more then one hdd slot ussally computers have at least 2 internal hdd slots

3. isjka

isjka Member

Thanks aXidburn for the reply.

So basically what you're saying is that if I have enough space on my internal drive, there is no need to get a larger one. Is 11GB free on 20GB considered running out? I know I only have one internal slot.

How can you explain the 1 minute or so frezze I get after I'm done copying a DVD then? Is that normal?

Thanks.

4. Reader650

Reader650 Member

Um, if you are using USB 1.1 then no wonder. USB 2 is much faster but can be slowed down if USB 1.1 devices are sharing the ports.

Firewire is the best solution and if you have that capability go for it, the connection should be plenty fast for what you want to do.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If your USB is 1.1 it'll run slow as heck. To check if you have 1.1 or 2.0 go to device manager, expand universal serial bus controllers and look for any that say "enhanced". Enhanced means it is a 2.0 controller.

You can pick up a PCI USB 2.0 card for your comp pretty cheap which would bump up the speeds on your external HD, although 11GB is plenty for backing up a DVD.

6. isjka

isjka Member

Thanks for all these tips. I looked under DM and didn't see any "enhanced" words. I guess I can assume I don't have USB 2.0. I'm going to connect the external drive then via Firewire and see if that makes any difference.